The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

G4 Mac OS Server 10.3 extra had drive icon with strange name

G4 Mac OS Server 10.3 extra had drive icon with strange name appeared on the desktop. My boss threw it out. Black screen with a lot of white writing appeared - last words at the end: "panic: We are hanging here..." I tried to restart it many different ways. It would not start from any CD. Keeps going to the same screen with"panic..." Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
The computer has most likely suffered a logic board crash (especially if you cannot boot it to any install CD or DVD. You may try to migrate the data to another machine if you have another mac accessible and a firewire cord. You can restart the G4 by holding the T button down, and if you plug a firewire cord into it and into the other machine the G4's hard drive should appear on the other machine's desktop, allowing you to migrate the files.

Last thing I would say is that you stated using the following commands to start the computer up:
•Com-Opt-P-R
•Com-Opt-O-F
•Com-S

Did you try starting while holding the C button? That is the command for a Mac to boot to a CD...
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience: 25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just found out that it is G3 (not G4). Would it make any difference? I tried to start holding C key, same screen appears.
Then you have a hardware issue for sure. There is no difference between the G3 and G4. If it will not boot and will not boot to a CD, your logic board is almost certainly fried. Look at the info on my last response for how to transfer the data to another computer.