Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

iMac will no longer sync up when faxing. Started after upgrade

Customer Question

iMac will no longer sync up when faxing. Started after upgrade to 10.4.11. Internal modem connects, first tone to start sync is heard, then internal modem just hangs up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Can you tell us which application and version you are using to fax from your MAC?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As far as I can tell, the internal fax modem that came with the Mac.

Modem Information:

Modem Model:     Dash2
Interface Type:     USB
Modulation:     V.92
SKU Name:     UCJ
Hardware Version:     1.0F
Firmware Version:     APPLE VERSION 2.6.6
Driver:     InternalUSBModem.kext (v2.6.6)
Country:     B5 (United States, Latin America)

iMac 1Ghz G4 17", the "mushroom". Mac OSX 10.4.11. Fax worked fine with 10.3, going to 10.4.11 it quit. As stated, an Apple Mac Genius said it is a bug in 10.4, but that was last year.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There are two other applications listed, but I do not open them and use them for faxes. They are:

FAXstf X Registration:

Version:     10.0.8
Last Modified:     8/27/02 18:24
Kind:     PowerPC
Get Info String:     10.0.8 © 2002 Smith Micro Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Location:     /Applications/FAXstf X/FAXstf X Registration.app

and:

Fax Browser:

Version:     10.0.8
Last Modified:     8/27/02 18:24
Kind:     PowerPC
Location:     /Applications/FAXstf X/Fax Browser.app

But when I try to fax I just go to "Print" in whatever program I am in (text edit, or appleworks, or Pages) and choose:
PDF
Fax PDF . . .
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Could you first start by re applying the 10.4.11 combo update from here http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24901?viewlocale=en_US after it has run coul dyou reboot your mac and see if it will respond to faxes.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can . . . but at 180plus Mb it will take a while
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Some people have had success reapplying hte update to get the faxing working again, The other option would be to use a third party software program to handle your faxing for you, However if the combo update works for free it would be best as it is intigrated.

If you prefer to go with another application let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did the upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4 and the 10.4.11 combo this spring. The Combo Update just finished downloading . . . here goes . . . . . . . .
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Let us know what happens when you get it done.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Downloaded the Combo upgrade and reinstalled it. Tried to fax a scanned item. The modem calls, you hear one tone from the receiver and then the modem hangs up without faxing. Same problem that was reported to Apple a year ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Has Apple addressed this issue, or is it like usual, information on bugs and fixes is only obtained from other Mac users?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Lol,

As always the users are the best source of information when it comes to bugs and fixes, Also people like me who work on corporate networks every day come accross a lot of these issues and av chance to fix them long before the makers even find out there is an issue.

Cn you tell me if you are sending a fax from the print command and also if you are using a cover sheet.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, sending it from the Print command, and using a cover sheet.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Can you try turning off the coversheet and see if it will go.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just tried to fax without the cover sheet. It takes longer to connect after the receiver picks up, but again, it goes from "connecting" to "hanging up" and puts the fax into the que of the internal modem to be set again later. Same as it has been doing. No completed sync with the receiving fax (or so it appears).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
'Fraid I'm out of the loop for now. Have to get some rest and its getting late here. I'll check back 12/4 am.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Let me check a few thingsand hiopefully I will have something solidfor you in the AM.

Thanks