Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

cannot unmount my external Iomega hard drive on Macintosh -

cannot unmount my external Iomega hard drive on Macintosh - tried using disk utility and disk warrior but no success
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You mean you cannot drag the icon to the Trash and have it eject?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Have you turned off the Mac and the hard drive and then turned on the mac leaving the external off?

Does that allow you to boot up?

Then turn on the Hard Drive and wait for it to mount.
Can you see it on the desktop?

Can you now remove it by dragging to the Trash?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all that and it does allow me to boot up - I can see the external drive on the desktop however when I try to move it to the trash, a window appears stating that the disk is in use and could not be ejected - try quitting applications and try again
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. That was kind of here I was going with this.

Do you have any applications that automatically start when you boot up? Like iTunes, iPhoto, or any other app that may be using that drive for storage? or for access to files like photos, music, etc...?

This is what it seems like. You have an application that I opening and it is using that drive for its files.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not as far as I know - when the computer boots up the only application that appears when I go to force quit is Finder
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Then we need to boot the Mac up without your hard drive attached. Then use the Mac as usual and see if any apps complain or will not run properly.

This is the only way I can think of to isolate what is using that drive.

Let me know if anything comes up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried that but all apps are working ok - when I browsed internet yesterday trying to solve this problem, notice that on some forums they talked about using commands in Terminal to find out what apps the external hard drive is using and then to delete process using activity monitor. This seemd to solve problem for some folks who had same problem - not sure how to do that though
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, me either. If you have that link, post it and I'll look it over.

There is definitely something loading up when the drive is mounted. Maybe an Iomega Backup program?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the links are
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=329198

I dot have any iomega software on computer as I use SuperDuper and Time Machine for backups
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Just thought of something while reading through those links/sites.

Are you running Classic by any chance?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not as far as I know -how do I check
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Waht version of Mac OS X?

I am assuming Leopard/10.5.x because I just saw you mentioned Time Machine.

Still reading through the links/sites. Seems a random issue and Terminal is the answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.5.5
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. No Classic then.
I am trying out the Terminal commnads on my Mac here. I'll keep you updated with what I find.

This way we can determine what is running and is open on the drive when mounted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

Get your Utilities folder open and then open Terminal.

Paste this command in the Terminal Window:
lsof | egrep

Then Drag the icon of your external hard drive into the same Terminal window.

You will see some wierd stuff there after the command you pasted in. Now hit return and wait.

Copy and paste the result back to me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$ lsof | egrep/Volumes/IOMEGA_HDD
-bash: egrep/Volumes/IOMEGA_HDD: No such file or directory
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$

seems strange - as this is name of external hard drive
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Make sure there is a space between the p of egrep and the first slash.

Mine looks like this:

lsof | egrep /Volumes/Pictures\ \&\ Stuff

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still does not seem to work

Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$ lsof | egrep /Volumes/IOMEGA_HDD
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Interesting. It is working. there is nothing open to report.

Can you drag it to the trash right now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope - still says it is in use
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
something that I just noticed - when I connect the external hard drive, the following 3 folders appear in Trash
Documents alias
Users
Users 19-26-45

when I try to delete these folders, the number of files to be trashed increases to over 2000, so I stop the trash action as I am not sure what is being deleted
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Whoa...

I think we are onto something here. I bet something in the Trash is busy and not letting the drive unmount. Move the files out of the trash and then go through them. Try deleting some files/folders one at a time and empty the trash each time. If you get a message saying the trash cannot be emptied because xxx is busy or in use, then we found one of the culprits.

Hold down the Option key now and empty the trash again and the message should not appear.

See what comes up and let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will not let me empty trash as it says unexpected error occurred [erro code -50]
I think that the problem is in the trash as when I try to empty the traqsh, the external hard drive is spinning madly
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Even if you drag everything back out to the desktop and then just put a few things in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it starts to copy the files back onto the dekstop as opposed to them being dragged out of trash - however it does not allow me to copy all of the fiels as it stops with various error messages.
I did a get info on each folder and they are all on the external hard drive
tried to empty trash then using secure empty trash but the error 50 comes up and the operation stops
if we can empty the trash, think that this problem will go away
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on one of the user forums, it was suggested to use the following command in terninal to empty trash
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash
I tried it but it asks for password XXXXX for some reason I cannot the password XXXXX the line remains blank
thoughts?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
paswords do not repeat i Terminal. It stays blank. Just hit return after entering it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thx - did that but no effect
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The rm -rf command is called recursive. it removes everything no matter what the file or condition.,

Surprised it did not work.

Do you have anything on this drive you need to keep? Because it sound slike it is in a bad way and needs reformatting.

Can you copy stuff off of it to your Mac and then just wipe it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dont need any of the stuff on the external hard drive as i just want to use it as a backup for my itunes and iphoto from my internal hard drive - so wiping it clean will be fine but how do I do that
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Leave it connected and then go to Utilities Folder and open Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility on the left side, click on the Iomega Hard drive, but not the Named drive just below it.

On the right side, choose Partition and then choose One partition from the pop-up.

Click on Options button and choose GUID as the partition type.
Close that window and then click Partition. Say yes to partition OK question and then wait for it to finish.

This will give you a drive that will work with Intel Macs as a startup drive and a Time Machine backup if you want that as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried that but it says partition failed as it could not unmount the disk
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmmmmm.

I have to find the Terminal Commnads for this.
Be back asap with another try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok - thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK. Here is what I found. Using DiskUtil from the Terminal we should be able to get this to work.

First type this in Terminal:

diskutil list

In the list produced, find the IDENTIFIER of the drive you want to erase. It'll be something like disk0, disk1, etc.

Then... type this into Terminal.

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ "Macintosh HD" disk0

Make sure to enclose the name of the hard drive in quotes or it will fail. Replace the name as it is on the Desktop and replace the disk0 with the number you found from the first command you ran. DO NOT USE "MACINTOSH HD". REPLACE THAT NAME.

Watch the spaces. Copy and paste to get it exact, but watch the spaces as you replace the words.

This should erase the partition and give you a clean HD to start from. I would then go to Disk Utility and do the Partitoning again to make sure that the Partition is good.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this what I got:
dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 111.5 Gi disk0s2
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *93.2 Gi disk1
1: Apple_HFS IOMEGA_HDD 93.2 Gi disk1s1
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$ diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ "IOMEGA_HDD" disk1
Started erase on disk disk1
Creating partition map
[ \ 0%................................................... ] Could not unmount disk for zeroing

Partitioning encountered error on disk disk1: Could not unmount disk (-10000)
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OMG... I cannot believe this disk is being so cantankerous (is that a word?)

OK. My kid, a whiz at Unix says to try this command if that one does not work. It will force the drive to unmount and then do the above Terminal command again.
unmount | [force] "IOMEGA_HDD" disk1

After it runs, then do the above but skip the list, just enter:

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ "IOMEGA_HDD" disk1

Gosh, I hope we get this done this year... LOL.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I enter unmount | [force] "IOMEGA_HDD" disk1
the response back is command not found
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK,

Try this one:

sudo umount -f /Volumes/"IOMEGA_HDD"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
response is:
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$ sudo unmount -f /Volumes/"IOMEGA_HDD"
sudo: unmount: command not found
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Change unmount to umount and try again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Macintosh-2:~ davidjenkins$ sudo umount -f /Volumes/"IOMEGA_HDD"
umount: /Volumes/IOMEGA_HDD: not currently mounted
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OMG... this is scary.

OK, it is not mounted, will it let you format it now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tries to partition using diskutility but failed - says it could not unmount disk!!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh Boy.

How old is this disk? Any chanve it is under warranty and can be sent back for a replacement?

I don't have anything else to try. I could Opt-Out and let another Expert take over if you want, but I think we have done everything I can do to get this to work.

Let me know,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Another expert gave me an idea. Do you have access to another Mac? You could connect it to the other Mac and then the relationship to your Mac will ot be there and you should be able to format it there.

Then bring it back home and you can resume using it.

Let me know how that works.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried that on my wife's MAc and got same responses - busy, could not unmount etc.
think I will call it a day as we have tried everything and nothing new out out on any of the forums - might write e-mail to Iomega to see if they have solution, otherwise HD will be going in bin
many thanks for your help
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. What a bummer. I do not like it when I fail :: cries::

I cannot believe this drive is being so difficult. And I guess it is out of Warranty?

Oh well, 120GB is not that much space anymore, what with 1Terabyte drives for under 200.00 these days.

Well, good luck and it has been a pleasure working with you,

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting