Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

i just installed a new hd on my macbook. i can not install

Customer Question

i just installed a new hd on my macbook. i can not install the OS back on to the new hd. I first tried leopard upgrade rebooting holding down C. It said I needed an earlier version, so i tried tiger which was the original OS. Neither will install. I am so irritated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

When you tried to boot from the Tiger CD what happened?

Let us know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if i am rebooting correctly, i put the grey disk #1 in holding down C and powering up. the apple comes up and i let go of C. It says use english as main language - i say says welcome to mac OS installer- i press continue, goes to license- agree. then it says select a destination to install Mac OS X and then i am stuck - no destination is found?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

In that case we need to setup the drie and format it so you can select it as a destination.

Could you boot off the installation CD then go to the menu and start Disk Utility.

From the disk utility you should be able to see and format your new disk as HFS+

Once you have formatted the drive you should be able to reboot from the CD and install your OS.

Let us know if you have any issues

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry pressed wrong button. from disk utility i see the hd, and the install disk, but the only options are to, first aid,erase, partion, raid and restore. how do i format and should i do this thru the leopard upgrade sotime machine will work
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

As you have the upgrade of Leopard we will first need to install Tiger then perform an upgrade to Leopard.

From Disk Utility Choose your drive then choose Partition.

Choose 1 partition and set it to the maximum size.

Once the partition is created format it and you should be good to go.

This guide from KenStone should help you through setting up the drive

Let me know if you need more info.