Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience:  Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)
2368596

I tried to install 10.5.1 on my macbook, 10.4.11. It did not

Customer Question

I tried to install 10.5.1 on my macbook, 10.4.11. It did not work. Now I can't get the computer past the apple emblem and the spinning wheel.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Flagbridge-MAC replied 5 years ago.
Can you please let me knnow exactly HOW it failed.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It told me that it could not install 10.5.1 on my computer because it did not have another place to install it, like an extention hard drive. It said that I could not install it on my current hard drive without reformatting it which would erase all of my information. It then gave me the option of choosing the external journaling as a place to save the information. I did not know what to do, so opted to exit. Now it will come up but only the apple emblem and the spinning wheel show up. When it has spun for a while the computer will go off.
Reboot in safe mode and if it comes back alive reboot back to regular mode.

Could be a simple filesystem issue repaired automatically on entering safe mode.

When you reboot hold shift down to enter safe mode.
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience: Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not do anything. The computer beeped when I held the shift button, but the spinning wheel is still going.
reboot and hold down COMMMAND and S at the same time.

If you get to a white.black screen then type /sbin/fsck -fy

hitting enter and when it is finished its check reboot

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It still does not stop spinning. It beeps when it starts up, but continues to spin.

I am so worried that I have lost all of my information and my $1,000 investment is gone.

I hope you can help - amy other suggestions?

Do you have the installation DVD for Tiger?

Sounds like you may need to re-install.

If you could nto even get into single user mode then you have some serious problems. Single User mode was holdng the Command and S down when rebooting.

You could always get a new hard drive, remove the old one, put it in an external USB caddy and then rebuild on the new drive. You can then mount your old one and manually pull the information off.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thx for you help.

I will take your advise into consideration.

Everytime I install something, I lose everything - I thought this would be so simple. :-(

Thx again.

Iva