Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I accidentally moved my iphoto library to the trash. I searched

Customer Question

I accidentally moved my iphoto library to the trash. I searched my mac for iphoto library and moved all back to pictures folder. Now my library has no pics and when I try to open iphoto library, it says it can not be opened because its in the trash.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

HI,

Can you tell us which folder you moved to the trash?

Do you know where you took the folder from?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I deleted everything that was in the picture file since I already had all the pics in iphoto.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you moved the file back from the trash to your pictures folder then all we should ned to do is to get iPhoto to open and then rebuild your photo library.

So could you look in the HD / Users/Your Name / Library/ Preferences folder and find the com.apple.iphoto.plist file and trash it.

Once you have done that can you then launch iPhoto and let me know if it opens correctly then asks you to reindex or add photos, If it does can you point it to the correct location where your pictures are stored.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. I did this but am getting an error message now when opening iphoto

You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.
You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

What version of iPhoto do you have?

Have you upgraded it recently?

If not can you drag the plist back from the trash to the HD / Users/Your Name / Library/ Preferences folder and then relunch iPhoto and let me know if it opens correctly.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. I brought plist back and relaunched iphoto. no, I have not updated iphoto recently. I did notice that the plist was replaced with another plist after I deleted and tried to relaunch. I just said yes when asked if ok to replace the old plist. now I'm back in iphoto but no pictures. It says the version open is 7.1.5
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Could you shut down iPhoto then re-open while holding opt+cmd+shift, You should get a message asking if you want to rebuild the iPhoto library which can take a little while.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its asking how I want to rebuild
1 rebuild the photos small thumbnails
2 rebuild all of the photos thumbnails
3 rebuild the iphoto library database
4 recover orphaned photos in the iphoto library folder
5 examine and repair iphoto library file permissions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I selected rebuild the photos small thumbnails

nothing happened. now what.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

You need to perform option 3 which is to rebuild the iphoto library database.

If that does not work try option 4 if you moved th photos back to their original locations.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
keep in mind that i cant find the photos since they were all in iphoto library. the ones that were outside the library I can see but the ones that were only held inside are gone. also i had created events for them and they are gone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, option 3, nothing, option 4, nothing.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Sorry, I thought you were able to retrieve all of your photos and move them back to the original folder I did not realize you were missing some.

In that case we will need to retrieve your original photos before we can rebuild unless you dont need them.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, I definitely need the photos. super important too me. Lets retrieve.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Again I am sorry, I was laboring under the wrong impressions so i am sorry I wasted your time so far.

What we need to do is try some form of undelete or format recovery software like Macintosh data recovery http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/ or Kernel http://www.datarecoverymac.com/ A free trial can be found at both of the links I provided.

If you download the trial version of the software to see if it can find your files you can then purchase the full version to recover your files for $129.00 or $149.00 and once you have recovered the folder and files you can just move it from the reovery location back to its original location and relaunch iPhoto and reindex.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I'm on to something. I searched through the trash and found a iphotos library with 8gb. I think this is the right one. I moved it to the pic folder and now can click on the iphoto library under places without the error message that its in the trash.

I'm still not able to see anything in iphoto when using that library but the fact it shows 8gb has to be a good sign
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

So what hapens if you reindex now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
reindex? you mean option, cmd, shift and 3rd option. nothing.

good news if I right click on the library and click show package contents, all the pics are there, and the events are showing as titles. still can't view when I open iphoto.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If the photos will open from their location then could you Move the iPhoto Library Folder to the desktop and launch iPhoto.

It should ask if you wish to create a new Library, Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library Folder on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag thephotos to the iPhoto Window and it should recreate them in the new library.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I figured it out. I moved the other library icons out of the pics folder, leaving only the one with all the GB. message popped up and I relaunched that one. I think it was opening the wrong library that whole time. In any event, I'm back and happy. thanks a million