Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

how can I get langage support on Excel and Word on a Mac.

Customer Question

how can I get langage support on Excel and Word on a Mac. These files worked fine on my old pc
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell us what version of Office for mac you are using?

Are you just wanting spelling support or do you need the aditional characters also?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
v.X
I can input the characters, but when I open the file, it looks just like a bunch of underlines
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

v.X?

Are you using Office 2004 or 2008?

Are you just wishing to use Greek language suport?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am not a very proficient Mac user, sp please tell me where to find the properties that show office 2004 vs. 2008
i need greek language support for the existing files that I moved over from my old PC on a dvd, I can input greek characters into new files
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Word on a PC uses a thing called unicode to display Greek in Word whereas Mac does not natively support Greek language except for a limited use in Office 2008, So I am going to assume you are probably using 2004.

Coudl you download and install XGreek from here then restart your Mac and let me know if your documents open correctly http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13444/xgreek

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am assuming you are sending me to a safe download site
I will install and reboot, but how do I reconnect with you to confirm?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Don't worry it is a perfectly safe site.

All you do is come back to www.justanswer.com and login to get back to this thread, either that or you can click the link in any of the email notifications you received.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm back, and I htink I have a bit more insight for you. Though the excel file and the word document that have the greek fonts appear not to have changed, I accidentally opened the word doc via textedit through the recent items menu. Though the formating is a bit screwy, I does appear to have my contacts in there with the greek characters. I do not know if this was the case previously as I did not open the file through TextEdit but rather Word. What now, I am not as concerned with the word document, but rather the excel file which is a small database of contacts and contains greek characters
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Hmmm,

To be honest it may be that you do have Office v.X installed, I that is the case you can download a trial version of Office 2008 from here http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Business/Microsoft-Office-2008.shtml once it is installed you should then be able to read your Excel files so yu can print them or copy them to a different file format such as PDF.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now I am a little confused. Are you implying that Office does not support these fonts on Mac, but Windows only? It is not very helpful for me to have an excel database printed or in a PDF format because it is not usable as a database that I can generate Word documents from. Isn't there a translation or import utility available? Also, is Office 2008 downlevel or uplevel from office X?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Office 2008 (released Jan15th 2008) is the latest version available for Mac then 2004 (released May 11th 2004) then Office X (which was released November 19th 2001)

The office X program does not support Unicode in any application so it is incapable of supporting the Greek lanuage unlike its PC cousin which supports it without any issues.

To put it simply, you will need to install a minimum of Office 2004 to suport Greek in Excel, However Office 2008 would be better.

Let me know if you need more info or clarification.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I think I got it, but then I would try to reason why v.X will let me enter Greek unicode fonts and save a document. Is that expected behavior?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, I was not in Word after all but textedit again apologies for the confusion. Thanks for answering my issue, though it is not the answer I was looking for i.e having to lay out mega $s to support these fonts/docs. Appreciate your time, and if you come across a utility or another workaround, kindly let me know
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I think i see what you are asking, To get the Greek support you need to use Unicode, However Office X does not support unicode in the Excel application which is why you can not open the Excel file from your PC.

Only an aplication that supports unicode will allow for the opening of you Greek files which is why you need to use a newer version of office to allow the Excel files to be opened.

Does that make it as clear as mud?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

One thing yu may wish to try if you dont mind another software package rather than Microsoft office is Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/

Open Office is a free office suite for all operating systems which can open Microsoft format documents such as Excel and it also suports unicode so it should support your Greek language needs and files.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I assume that the statement of needing unicode to support greek is true- as I'm not an expert, but basically yes. I need to support the excel file natively and therefore the conclusion is I need to purchase a newer version of Office. Final thought- and I so appreciate your time and expertise- is there a spreadsheet application that is by chance residing on my iMac that I am unaware of?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Sorry to say but a sutable spreadsheet app is not natively on your mac which is why I would reccomend you try Open Office as it should be able to support your current pc Excel files on your mac and support the Unicode you need for future projects.

Plus open Office is a totally free application suite (you never have to pay a single pennyto use it or download it), Take a look at their website here and check out the I want to learn more section http://www.openoffice.org/

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks for all your insight and advice