Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

My mother has a Mac OS 10.3.9 iBook. She uses the Mac Mail

Customer Question

My mother has a Mac OS 10.3.9 iBook. She uses the Mac Mail program, and has lost the left hand side message scroll bar in the application. She can see her message in the message pane, but can not move down to read the entire message.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
It does sound likme the window got shifted to the right so the scroll bar is out of sight.

Have her place her mouse on the top of the window and then hold down the trackpad button and drag the entire window to the left. When she see the edge of the window on the right, then have her go to the bottom right corner and hold down the trackpad button again on the corner of the windo and then she can resize it smaller by moving up and to the left.

If it is the correct size, then it should be OK now.

Let me know how it works,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nope. That was not answer. She sized the window as far as it would go and filled up the desktop without having the window too far to the right. In this Mac email application, the scroll bar is between the email box folder column on the right hand side and the reading pane on the left. I had her close the email box folder column on the right hand side, try to resize the window and the scroll bar is still gone.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Oh. I see now. Sorry.

What email program is this?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's the Apple Mail program that comes with Mac OS 10.3.9.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.
I will do my best here. I have OS X 10.5.5 and my Mail app is much newer than hers.

In Mail, the left side, or sidebar c=scroll bar show up when enough folders or listings are in that window to need to scroll.

On the right side, the Message side, the scroll bar shows up when an email is longer than the window is.

If I have this right, the scroll bar on the message pane is NOT showing up and therefore she cannot scroll down a long email to see the bottom.

Do I have this right?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. You are correct. The scroll bar is NOT showing up on the message pane.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
There is only one way I am aware of that will fix this. However it will reset the Mail app and she may/will have to re-enter her email information.

If she is not sure about doing this, then I suggest she try opening each long email into a sparate window instead of previewing it below. This will keep her mailboxes and settings intact and still should allow her to view longer emails, just in a separate window.

To view them in another window, double-click on the email itself in the list and a new window will open with the message in it. The scroll bar should work in that window.

Let me know if you wish to proceed with deleting the file needed to fix this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just talked to her. She opened a message in another window, and still no scroll bar. I told about your suggestion which may result in the loss of her email cofiguration. She's not too happy with that answer. She's concerned she will lose her address book and messages. She shouldn't lose her messages since I have configured the client to leave messages on the email server until they are deleted. A friend of hers suggested that she call Qwest's Mac help line, and she wants to do that tomorrow before making a decision on your suggestion. I've also suggested the alternative of installing Thunderbird on her computer which I could more easily help her configure from here. She doesn't like that suggestion either. May I contact you tomorrow to complete this ticket or how do you normally procede with something like this?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Oh, that is fine. We wait for you. No problem at all.

Let me know how you want to proceed and we go from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Great! I'll contact you tomorrow. Thanks. Have a good night.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
That's fine.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike - We resolved the problem. Thanks for all your help.

Chris
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
May I ask how it was resolved?