John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I just installed the new version of Excel Mac 2008 version

I just installed the new version of Excel:Mac 2008 version 12.1.3 and the macro I wrote in the older version has disappeared and I don't know how to write a new one in this new version. Can you tell me how?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately Excel 2008 no longer supports Visual Basic. VBA has been replaced by Applescript in version 2008 for the Mac. If you try to open a worksheet that has a VBA macro you will be prompted to either leave the macro or remove it, but in both cases it won't run. Here is some more detail about this new feature.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. While I'm sure you are correct, that sure wasn't the answer I was hoping for! I'm now sorry I've upgraded to 2008. All I want to do is automate a very simple thing: Edit>Delete>Shift cells up. Is there a shortcut for this?
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Again, Excel 2008 lacks the ability to record AppleScripts, so you will have to write everything from scratch. However, if you are familiar with applescript you can use the Automator workflows to activate actions from the Scripts menu within Excel.

If you have workbooks with macros and if you are already familiar with vba macros your best option is to do what most macro users have chosen to do and that is revert back to Excel 2004.

Hope this helps, and please don't forget to click the green Accept button. Thanks