Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

I want to learn to use a webcam to talk to some of my family

I want to learn to use a webcam to talk to some of my family with small children who live in another state. We have purchased a video camera with a microphone that is compatible with our Mac mini computer. Now I am feeling overwhelmed already. Do I need to learn to use one of the instant message programs to use the webcam?   The booklet suggests IChat or Skype, but I don't know anything about either of them. What are "Buddy lists"?
GreetingsCustomer I can work with you to answer any questions you may have in getting your webcam operational.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you see the original ? that I typed into Ask.com?
Yes, I did read it. Do you have a preference as to which program to use? Do the other members of your family use one in particular?
The reason I ask is because not all video messaging programs can communicate with others. If the others in your family have one in particular that they use then we can start with that provided it will work on the Mac. If you have no preference we can start with Skype.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, let's do that. I will let them know that is what I connected to and we can go from there.
Thanks for taking it a step at a time.
Do you currently have any of the programs installed such as Skype or Instant Messenger?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, but I see that one daughter likes to use "Microsoft Messenger" so that has been downloaded and the icon is in the dock at the bottom of the desktop. I don't understand, is "Skype" another types of instant messaging software? I thought Skype was a video messaging software. Do I need to have both of them to use the Webcam?
Here are links for Skype and Instant Messenger. Download and install them both since it doesn't hurt to have more than one.
Skype
Instant Messenger
You will need to start the program once installed to create an account. It should be self explanatory.
Most all messenging services have the ability to use a webcam. Microsoft Messenger, Yahoo Instant Messenger, Skype, Gizmo and several others have that ability. Because you can have more than one on your computer, it allows you to use the one that you prefer the most and whichever one that allows you to talk to someone else. All you need to do with each one is start the program and create a user account to log in with.
I will be online for at least the next 12 hours today, just let me know when you log back in and ready to continue.
I appreciate the accept and feedback, however, you were more than welcome to continue if you needed further assistance. I hope you were able to get things working.