The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

Comcast. my carrier offers free McAffee security. It wont

Comcast. my carrier offers free McAffee security. It won't allow me to download. How do I find out if I am protected at all on my MAC?
Macs have almost no viruses. In fact as of last count PC's had over 60,000 pieces of malicious code floating about the internet (that includes viruses, trojans, worms, spyware & adware), Macs have 10 or 11, and most of those only affect System 9 or Microsoft Word... not the operating system itself, so you are inherently safer. McAffee does not exist on the Mac which is why they are not letting you download it.

That being said, if you are still concerned, you can purchase Intego's Virus Barrier at

As for myself, as a 26 year mac veteran, I have only seen two or three viruses (none major) in the field. I currently have NO protection on my machine, and I'm not even a little worried.