Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

How do I remove a dvd from my ibook g4 The battery is dead

Customer Question

How do I remove a dvd from my ibook g4? The battery is dead and I think the electical cord has damaged the housing unit for the plug that goes into the computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

To be honest the only way to get the disk out of the machine short of taking the machine apart requires power.

So having said that do you have a battery with a small charge on it or do you need us to give you instructions on how to take the machine apart, If you wish to take it apart can you tell us the exact model of your machine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There's one dim blinking light on the battery.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you remove the battery then press the power button down for 10 seconds and release it.

Wait 5 seconds and put the battery back then press and hold the moue utton down and power on the machine keeping the mouse key held, If there is enough power the machine should eject the CD.

If not we may have to resort to plan B which involves a screwdriver, However it is not a task to undertake lightly especially if you are planning on having the machine repaired.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Not enough juice! I need to think about plan B.

Thanks!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me the exact specifics of your G4, Is it a 12 or 15 inch unit?

What color is the case and do you know what size the processor is?

Also are you planning on hving it repaired?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's a 12 inch. White case. No idea on the size of the processor. I don't think I will get it repaired but if I were, am I going to destroy the machine?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

If you are planning on having it repaired by someone like the Apple store they can pop the disk for you in a few seconds using a spare battery.

If you are not planning on repairing it then we can take it apart as there are a lot of small components which can get damaged if you do not have some experience inside a machine with a screwdriver.

Let me know what you prefer.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I guess I will take it to the Apple store. I don't want to totally mess this up.

Thanks!!!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Just let me know if you change your mind or Apple can't help so I can give you step by step to take it apart.

Just log back into JustAnswer.com at any time and select this question and we can continue.

Thanks