Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.

I need to restore or reset my apple computer to an earlier

I need to restore or reset my apple computer to an earlier time in order to recover a file. I know how to do it with a PC but not a MAC.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other

Already Tried:
I'm not sure what a browser you mean Safari?

Version 10.4.11
Greetings juliathomas, unfortunately, unless you have a third-party software program that performed regular backups OS 10.4 does not have that ability. The newer version Leopard 10.5 has a program called Time Machine that performs that function. If your goal is to undelete something, there are several software programs available that may recover your file. The chances of success depend on whether the space on the hard drive where the file existed has been overwritten with new information. If it has been overwritten in whole or in part there is no recovering it. The more you have used your computer and created or downloaded new files reduces your chances.
I hope this helps. If you need any further information please let me know. Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not really. I knew most everything he said except Leopard 10.5 has a program called Time Machine to perform the function I'm looking for.

I would like it very much if Dan could recommend one, maybe two software programs he suggest I purchase to try and recover the information.
Here is a recovery program link. I have used the Data Recovery II software before and it works very well.
Data Recovery II has a demo available so you can download to see if the file is there. If it is then you can buy it. You can search other places who might have a cheaper price like
Do not install the software or save recovered files to the same partition or hard drive as the deleted file you are trying to recover. If you do you could overwrite the area of the hard drive where the file is.
Let me know if you need further information.