Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.

I want to sell my Imac. I have accessed information on the

I want to sell my Imac. I have accessed information on the web that I want to make sure is cleaned off and traces removed. Can you walk me through how to do this.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 7 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer you can do a very thorough erasure of the hard drive free space by using the Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. In the Disk Utility window you will see the hard drive(s) on the left. Highlight the one you want to secure and select the Erase tab and then the Erase Free Space button below. It will open a window and give you three options with each one being more secure than the preceeding one (and also more time consuming). Select an option and then select the Erase Free Space button.
If you need further assistance please let me know. Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What does it mean to "Erase free Space"? Will this erase programs from the hard drive that I still need to use? Is there a way to see those "cookies" that you want to erase and be more specific?

You can go into your browser preferences to delete all personal data including cookies. As to the "Erase Free Space", all that does is take any space that is empty or is a space where previously deleted files once existed and does a secure erase, it will not touch programs or files you are using or need.
Make sure that you have deleted any and all files you want gone and emptied the Trash before running the secure erase feature of the Disk Utility, otherwise you will have to run it again.