Justin
Justin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  18 Years as a pre-press manager and running my own graphic design business - always THE tech guy.
13289079

I lost all of my photos on my macbook, a long story... I did

Customer Question

I lost all of my photos on my macbook, a long story... I did make some slideshows and burned them onto disks, and also transferred some to my iphone. Is there a way to put the photos back in iphoto from the slideshow? Is there a way to put them on iphoto from my iphone?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other

Already Tried:
I don't know my browsers name. I am on a fairly new macbook with Leopard OS
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
If the slideshow was created in iPhoto, I don't think that you can recover the separate photo files from that - all exports of iPhoto slideshows are QuickTime movies.

The images on your iPhone should be importable into iPhoto. Once your iPhone is connected to your MacBook, go to iPhoto and select the iPhone in the 'Device' category. In the main part of the window you should see your photo shown as thumbnails. In the lower right-hand corner of the window you should see a button labeled 'Import All...". Click that and your iPhone photos will be copied to your iPhoto library.

If this answers your question to your satisfaction please click on the 'Accept' button. If you have further questions please use the 'More Information' button.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I have connected my iphone to my macbook, and te only photos that come up are the photos that wew actually taken with my iphone camera, not the photo library hat was synced from my macbook. I thought you could help me, I guess not.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
The photos synced from the old iPhoto library to the iPhone should still be available FROM the iPhone. The only reason they wouldn't be there is if you synced the iPhone AFTER you lost the photos on the MacBook. If that is what happened, then no, the old photos that used to be on the iPhone are gone.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I tried it again, and it only imported all of the photos that were actually taken with my iphone. My friend who is somewhat of a mac expert (has used Macs for many years) said that Apple has installed a safeguard to not allow you to sync songs and photos that were downloaded back to your computer, which is why people can't give songs or photos to other people on their computers. I was hoping you knew of a way around that, but all you are telling me to do is what I have done already, which doesn't work !
So, to answer your question.... No, I am not at all happy with your suggestions, and I am also not happy that it cost me $15.00 for NOTHING !
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Another thing..... How could I have synced the photos from the computer AFTER I lost them????? If they were lost/gone.... then there would have been nothing to sync ! Of course I did the sync BEFORE iphoto crashed !
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
You may have synced with the empty iPhoto library just by hooking up the iPhone to the computer (it may have been set to auto-sync). If that was the case, then the copies of the photos on the phone would have been removed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But they are NOT removed. They are all in my iphone, just like I put them there before I lost them on my macbook. I m not trying to recover photos that I can't see before my eyes. They are all in my iphone the way they used to be on my macbook before it crashed.
I am very frustrated !
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I understand you are frustrated and I am trying to help you.

Since you are telling me that the solution (use iPhoto to transfer the contents of the iPhone) isn't working I'm not sure what to tell you. Apple doesn't block transfer of photos the same way they do music files - they assume the photos are yours and not copyrighted.

This would be fairly time-consuming depending the number of images we are talking about, but maybe you could have the iPhone email the images to yourself and upon receipt on the MacBook, put them into your iPhoto library?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay,
My friend the Mac expert has been viewing my emails with you and in the meantime, he has found a program for me to buy and download called "phoneview" which just cost me another $20.00, but this time, I have finally got a solution, and while I was waiting for your response...... I was able to take my entire roll from my iphone and copy and transfer them back to my iphoto library on my macbook.
And you are right, it would have been way too time consuming to email each photo from a European vacation to my macbook .
So, you haven't helped me at all Justin, and I would greatly appreciate a refund of my $15.00, but I have a terrible feeling that not only did you waste my time and not help me.... But, that you will keep my money. But..... the good thing is that I paid through Paypal, and I can file a dispute, But, it would be so nice if I didn't have to.
Please remember that there is a program, a very good program called "PhoneView" that you can know refer people to with my same problem.

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I'm glad you found a solution to your problem.

As far as refunds are concerned, you have not accepted the answer so I have not been paid.

You may be able to find out more information about the JustAnswer refund policy here:
http://www.justanswer.com/tos.aspx

Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You Justin
I am sorry that you had to deal with my frustrations If you only knew what I have been through, you would understand better. I did everything right with a mini hard drive, and downloaded daily on my trip. The "geniuses" at the Apple Store managed to break my hard drive, so that when my macbook crashed and I lost ALL of my iphoto album ....ie.. travels/grandchildren/deceased friends.... all of them. There was no way to retrieve them. My friend found a recovery program, and I was able to get a few of them back, after hours and hours and hours of reviewing mac data files and deleting thousands of images. It has been a nightmare to say the least. But, I did load some of them, most of my favorites onto my iphone, so there was a ray of hope, if I could just figure out a way to reverse sync (Mac does not allow it without the proper programs).
I appreciate your time, and I am sorry that you couldn't help me. Paypal will take care of the dispute, as I have filed one.
I wish you Health and Happiness in your life,
Jackie