Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

How do I get into a used Mac with no password

I bought a used PowerBook G4 on eBay. I made the mistake of starting up from an OSX CD so I could change the password. Now I can't get on it at all. I just get the login window with Name and Password XXXXX and nothing I enter works. What do I do now?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi.

If you are booting it up and cannot get into it, then your best choice is to do a clean install of the OS and start from there.

There should be no reason not to install clean, as you will be able to set your username and password XXXXX the OS is installed and the PowerBook will be at its best with a good OS.

If there is something on this PB you need, then the only way is to boot from the CD, choose Reset Passwords from the Menu Bar after the Installer runs and changing the password XXXXX the Admin or other accounts already on the machine.

This may be where you are having the problem.... you changed the password, but did not note the Account it was associated with.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be paid for assisting.
If not, reply back here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, that's probably the problem. But it doesn't even want to boot up from a CD now. How can I do a clean install? And what OS works best on a PowerBook?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
What OS depends on the model and speed. Leopard, 10.5, requires at least 867 MHz or faster. Tiger, 10.4, is probably the best for under that speed.

You should also have at least 1GB ram for any OS X version you decide on.

To boot to the CD, you have 2 options...

1. Hold down the C key and see if it boots from the disk in the drive.

2. Hold down the Option key and wait for the Startup manager to load. Then see if it shows the Insatller disk and click on it, then click the Right arrow to boot from it.

Both methods require the disk be IN the drive before powering up.

Hope this helps,
If not, reply back here.