Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

unable to send emails - went through process of checking preferences

Customer Question

unable to send emails - went through process of checking preferences from mail menu ... can't figure it out!
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other

Already Tried:
made sure outgoing mail server was not sent to "none"   etc...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

If you are using Mail then I will need to know the mail server you are supposed to use as well as your Internet Access priovider.

There may be a block on sending emails and you may need to use the server from your provider.

Let me know who is your provider and I can help you with this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
comcast
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.
Comcast uses smtp.comcast.net.

this should be in your Outgoing settings. Click on the popup in the account setings at the bottom and choose Edit Server List

In this window, make sure the server is set to smtp.comcast.net
Click on Advanced and set the ports to the first choice, and connection uses Password.

Close all the windows and try to send an email.

Let me know,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be paid for assisting.
If not, reply back here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay - outgoing settings okay.

each time I try to send an email, error message reads: The sender addressXXX@XXXXXX.XXX was rejected by the server smtp.comcast.net     

Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Are you trying to send to the same email address or does the error show up with any address?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shows up with any address
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.
The error is Senders address. I cannot see your address as Just Answer XX's out the address for privacy reasons.

Can you tell me your email address, but only the part AFTER the @ symbol?

We will need to know the Comcast address as well. This would be your username @ comcast.net.

Thanks,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did this help you at all?

If you still need assistance, please reply back here.