drpj
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
11304259

I am having problems uploading video onto my mac laptop and

Customer Question

I am having problems uploading video onto my mac laptop and tower. I have gone through all the help/troubleshooting options with no luck. I have tried several different cameras and firewire cables and nothing works. Please can you help. Bob
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X

Already Tried:
I am a teacher and I work with Mac Power Mac towers G4 and I have a MacBook (white G4) and I can't seem to upload any video onto the computers. I have tried everything, and video will not come onto the computer. I checked the date of the computer and camera, changed firewire cables and computers, and nothing works.

I am dealing with semi-pro cameras (Canon GL1, Panasonic ADV20 and a Sony VX2100 and nothing works. The computer does not register anything on the firewire locator so I don't know what is wrong. I couldn't have 6 computers have problems at the same time. Thanks,Customer
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.

In order to help you I need some additional information.

What version of Mac OS are you running on your G4s?
What program are you using to try to import the video?

When I know these thing then I'll be able to start helping you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am running 10.4.11 on the Mac Towers and I am using I-Movie HD to import the video. Thanks, Bob
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
Different version so iMovie support different camera. I see that iMove 2 supports all of your cameras but iMove 8 doesn't support any of them (according the Apple's website.)

Therefore, I need to know what version of iMovie you are using.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using I-Movie Hd version 6.0.3 (2672) (2006). thanks
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
I have found the following page on Apple's support website. Perhaps you have tried these things. If not, then they are worth a try. I haven't yet found a list of supported cameras for iMovie 6 but will continue looking.

Make sure you're using the Firewire connection and not the USB... I don't mean to insult your intelligence, it's the type of mistake even I would make!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried everything on apple's support page and I am using the firewire port. On Friday, I movie briefly worked on two of the computers using a Canon GL1 camera.    I turned it off and on, rebooteed, and all the other troubleshooting techniques and nothing worked.

Also, when I check the firewire ports on the computer (about this mac) nothing is registered as working or plugged in. This happens with all the computers I am using. Should I go back to another version of I-Movie to make things easier. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
If the cameras are not showing up in the "About this Mac" then the problem is not with iMovie.
  • Have you tried a different firewire cable?
  • Is the camera plugged into its AC power adapter?
  • Do you have another firewire device, like an external hard drive that you can test the firewire ports with? You can do this with a Mac that you start up holding the "T" key down which puts it into "Target" mode. It then acts like an external firewire drive.
One thing that sometimes solves these kinds of problems is fixing the permissions using the Disk Utility.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have tried different firewire cables, used ac power, and I connected a firewire device (harddrive) and it works. What should I do with the disk utilities, repair or verify, or erase. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ra
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried hooking up the camera to the external hard drive via firewire and it did not work. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the disk utilities steps on my mac powerbook it read volume header needs to be repaired -- minor problem with harddrive - could this be the issue. Should I do this with the other 6 computers at my work, could it be possible that all the hard drives have problems. I have applecare with my computer so should i take it in and get it repaired. iarIt I will a
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
It's possible that this is causing the problem. At any rate, I would repair the disk. A more complete way to repair the disk without having to boot from a CD is to
  1. boot into single user mode by holding the command and "s" keys down while turning on the Mac.
  2. when it is done displaying a lot of unix boot messages, type fsck -f and press return.
this will perform a more complete file system check. when it is done, type "exit" and the system will continue to boot as usual.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried all the steps you gave me in the last email and I still am having problems. If I go back to an older version of I-Movie would that make a difference? Also, I have Final Cut Pro on a couple of the computers and would that make a difference.
I've never used FCP so do I do it the same way as I-movie.

thanks, Bob
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
Is the camera in playback mode or camera mode? It should be in playback mode.

Also you can try repairing permissions using the Disk Utility and resetting the Mac by followig these steps:

If the issue persists, try these steps:
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect all devices and all other cables, except the keyboard and mouse cable(s).
  3. Disconnect the computer from the power outlet and wait for 3 to 5 minutes.
  4. Plug the computer back in and turn it on.
  5. Reconnect the device(s) (one at a time if there is more than one) and test. Test with each port if you have more than one.
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
Here are some more suggestions I've found on the Apple site.

j) remove bookmarks in iMovie project

k) Do You have desktop pictures or screen-savers active? Try turning them off.

l) Updating - OS has to be a clean install - not an update eg from X.3.x to X.4.x (no good) OS X.4.0-2 needs a clean install to work (I use X.3.9)

m) Updating QT and/or other updates (to 7 needs v6 to be cleaned out first) QT v.7 needs a clean install to work (I use 6.5.2)

n)Have you tried the crazy fix:
Open GarageBand, play a few notes, close it and reopen iMovie. The camera should import fine now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the garage band and the desktop and I couldn't get the bookmarks to work? What do you mean by that? it was gray and I couldn't make any changes. If I update with a clean install, does it erase everything on my computer. Bob

e gra
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
Bob,

A "Clean Install" or "Erase and Install" does indeed erase your entire hard drive. Therefore, you must back up any files (Applications for which you don't have installation CDs, User folders, that you wish to retain, etc.) before doing the clean install.

"iMovie includes markers called bookmarks that you can use to mark a precise point in an audio or video clip." from (www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=412366&seqNum=8)

I'll keep researching this if this doesn't help.