drpj
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
11304259

I have a duo Mini-Mac with Parallels. A PC program I need to

Customer Question

I have a duo Mini-Mac with Parallels. A PC program I need to run has a USB dongle. When starting the program on the PC side of Parallels, it crashes shortly after starting the program. I understand that this can be a problem with the darn dongles and duos. Q2: I thought one workaround would be to connect a bona-fide PC to the Mini-Mac and use it as an external hard drive, plugging the dongle into the PC USB drive. If you think this would work, how would I make the connection so that the PC icon shows up on the Parallels PC side?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other

Already Tried:

1. Tried running the PC software on Parallels, but it crashed; researched and found a site somewhere that said that dongles don't like duos.

2. Tried hooking up a bona-fide PC as an ext. hard drive to the Mini-Mac, but couldn't figure out how to do it, through firewire or USB. I have an Ethernet cable that I've never tried using, but if you can tell me how, I'll give that a try also.

Safari browser
Expert:  drpj replied 6 years ago.
If I understand correctly, you have in Intel Core duo Mini. If this is the case, I would recommend you try configuring your mini with Boot Camp. It is really very easy and safe to do, and it is more compatible with things like dongles as it's not running two operating systems at once.

Also, have you confirmed that this program will run without crashing on a "real" PC?