Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

How do I turn off DOS mode on my Macbook

Customer Question

How do I turn off DOS mode on my Macbook?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Firefox

Already Tried:
Searching for a way to turn it off
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
By DOS mode, do you mean it is booting into Windows?

Or does it start up in Verbose mode... Text opn screen as it boots into OSX?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to download a program onto my Mac book, and when I opened the setup file, there was a lot of coding, and at the top it said Cannot run program in DOS mode. I've tried to figure it out. It has no Windows programming. And there's no mention of DOS mode in System preferences.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You downloaded a Windows application and it will not run on your Mac.

There is no DOS mode and the text you are looking at is the code for Windows to run that program or open that document.

You may as well just trash it. There is nothing that can be done with it unless you get Parallels or use Boot Camp and install Windows.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be paid for assisting.
If not, reply back here.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are those my only possible options?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the OS X have Boot Camp already?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
For a MacBook, yes.

There is Parallels Desktop which is a very good emulator.

There is also VMWare Fusion which is also very good.

Or, you can install Boot Camp, included with your Leopard disk.

For all of the above you will need a legal copy of Windows XP with service pack 2 or Vista.

There is another option that may work, but I personally have not tried it yet:
That is CrossOver Mac.

These are your only options to open or use anything windows.

If not, reply back here.