Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Im experiencing erratic mouse activity -- merely touching

I'm experiencing erratic mouse activity -- merely touching a file will send it to the dock, or open the file without double clicking. Any movement of a file on the desktop is especially problematic. Is this a mouse problem or a system software issue? (I Mac G5; OSX 10.5.5, USB Apple mouse).
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other

Already Tried:
Restart, system preference adjustments, and screaming at my computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Is this on a mousepad or a desktop surface?

Have you tried any different surfaces? Any other mice?

Is this an Optical Mouse? (has a red light underneath?)

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is an optical mouse, a USB cable mouse made by apple. The surface doesn't make a difference. I normally use a pad, but tried it on my desktop as a test. It works the same with or without the pad. Unfortunately, I don't have another mouse. I'm prepared to buy a new one, if that is the most likely cause of the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
OK, That was what ai was looking for.

Optical mice have a habit of bouncing around on different surfaces and from what you describe it is not making a difference which surface it is on.

So, I agree. You will most likely need a new mouse. Their could be a small break in the cable near the USB connector or at the mouse itself and that may be wreaking havoc with the mouse controller.

I would replace the mouse with a new one, 2 or three button, USB or wireless, and optical for precision.

Hope this helps,
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be paid for assisting.
If not, reply back here.