Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I want to open a php file on my macbook (os x 10.4) but when

Customer Question

I want to open a php file on my macbook (os x 10.4) but when I read up on how to do this the technical knowledge required is beyond my understanding.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

Are you trying to look at the text of the php file, or run it? Can you give me a bit more information on what you're trying to do?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: Other
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am trying to download a wordpress themes from as part of a training course I am doing to then upload them onto my wordpress blog. Apparently they should be downloading as zip files but they are downloading as php files and I cannot read them in the correct format or upload them.
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

I just checked the website you mentioned and found a few links at the bottom: Download ProSense, ProSense Blue, ProSense Gray, etc. Are these the links you are trying to access? If you single-click (with the left mouse button, if you have a multi-button mouse) on those links, they should download as ZIP files (I just confirmed this).

If that doesn't work, could you please tell me what browser you are using?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I am downloading them they are saying zip file as they are downloading then once they are downloaded they are turning into php files. I can send you they screenshot if you want. I am using Safari but I have tried Firefox as well and its turning out the same.
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

My deepest apologies for the delayed response - for some reason your reply didn't show up in my inbox!

According to Apple, the php problem you're running into could be due to problems with the website you're trying to access. That said, I went to the website you mentioned and clicked download, and the files downloaded without problem.

Apple suggests that you try manually deleting the .php file extension (either directly, or by selecting the file and choosing Get Info) and if everything is okay then you should be able to open it (in your case, the Wordpress files are actually .zip archives).

If this doesn't work, let me know and we can try some other things.

Again, my apologies for the delay! I hope this answer isn't too late to be useful. Kind regards,