The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

I just tried to install 4 gigs of ram in my G5 duel 1.8 mac

I just tried to install 4 gigs of ram in my G5 duel 1.8 mac 10.5 osx..   I had the standard 512 memory.. WHen I went to boot it up.. all that happened was a light blinking consistantly over and over and over above the push button on switch in the front...   ALthough the machine stayed on.. No monitors would work.. ALl black... Nothing... I noticed that after awhile, the fan or sound from the mac begin to speed up, and slowly gain in a higher and higher pitch.. like a motor slowly reving up.. Im clueless.. did I blow up my mac.. Thank you..
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
You didn't blow it up, but I hope by now you turned it off. That is most likely a reaction to one or more bad RAM sticks, or RAM in the wrong slots.

When you took it all out, it beeped because it didn't have any RAM.

When you put the old in you may have put it in the wrong slot.

Did you get (2) 2GB sticks?

Where did you put them?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Im not sure where I put them.. But I believe the manual told me to put the inner ones in first.. then the outer ones.. I got 4 sticks. 1 gb each.. I beleive. I will have to check later.. I am at another persons house right now at thier computer... I thought I bought the right kind of ram..?
The wrong RAM probably wouldn't have fit in. Make sure you have the memory paired... meaning the 1GB next to the other 1GB, and the 256 next to the other 256.

Look into it. It's either bad placement or bad RAM.