Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I have a G3 iMac (blue) on which I run OS9.2.2 and OSX10.3.9.

Customer Question

I have a G3 iMac (blue) on which I run OS9.2.2 and OSX10.3.9. Recently the mouse has started to behave erratically, sticking and going dark. OccasionallyI get a message that there is insufficient power for the mouse to operate properly (it's plugged into the keyboard).In 5 years this hasn't happened before. Do I need a new mouse?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Are you plugging any other devices into the keyboard as well (e.g., a flash drive or external hard drive?) If so, try removing those and plugging them into the CPU instead of the keyboard.

Another thing to try is plugging the mouse into the CPU instead of the keyboard, and see if that fixes the problem. Your machine might have come with a USB extension cable that will make this a bit easier.

Finally, before buying a new mouse you might try borrowing a USB mouse from another computer to see if that solves the problem.

Let me know how these ideas work. Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The only other thing I have plugged into the keyboard is the printer, which is of course asleep most of the time.

Plugging the mouse into the CPU is'nt very practical (or indeed possible unless I happen to have an extension which I doubt) because the iMac CPU only has 2 ports, one of which connects to the keyboard and the other to the external broadband modem. In any case I am still none the wiser as to why this should suddenly start happening after the set-up has been working perfectly happily for 5 years.

I take your point about getting hold of another Mac Mouse to try out, but in the meantime do you think from your experience that my mouse is simply needing to be replaced?

Best
Customer
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Customer

My guess is that it's either the mouse, printer, or keyboard, in that order - one of those devices is either taking more power than it used to, or not providing as much power as it used to. As a simple fix until you're able to test another mouse, unplugging the printer may solve the problem.

Let me know how things progress as you try some of the options! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Shawn

It's taking me a while to find someone round with a Mac so I can try a different mouse. However, in the meantime I have disconnected the printer as you suggested and this morning the mouse has behaved itself impeccably. So, while I can't of course be certain yet that this has cured the problem for good, I'm quite happy to give it the benefit of the doubt and accept your suggestion.
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Excellent, I'm glad that has at least made the machine usable again! Let me know how things go as you move forward with a new mouse.

Thanks for using JustAnswer! Kind regards,

Shawn