Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

How do you record a wav file in CCITT u-law, 8-bit, 8KHz with

How do you record a wav file in CCITT u-law, 8-bit, 8KHz with the buitt in microphone on a mac laptop?
Hello David,

I recommend that you look into the free program Audacity ( ). It's a very powerful audio recording and editing program that will also allow you to load in sounds in a variety of formats and export them however you wish, including the format you mentioned above.

Another (simpler) program that is quite good is Audio Recorder 3.2 ( ). This is the program I use for most of my recording needs. It has a simple click and record interface, and lets you save out in a variety of formats as well (though not as many as Audacity). I wasn't able to find an option for encoding in u-Law in this program, but you can record an 8-bit 8kHz wav file in this program.

The nice thing is, both programs are free!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,