Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

My mac mini (OSX 10.4.11) wont recognize the print drivers

Customer Question

My mac mini (OSX 10.4.11) won't recognize the print drivers from the new printer (Canon mp980) I'm trying to install. When I'm in the Print Browser Window, I need to select "More Printers" and it crashes every time. How do I get around that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Here are a couple of things to try to get that printer added:

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder, restart and try to add the printer.

2) Open System Preferences/Print & Fax, click the + button and Printer Setup Utility app opens. You can then select Reset Printing System from the Printer Setup Utility menu heading, restart and try adding the printer.

I went to Canon's website to find the latest drivers for you. This is the web address for that:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=116&modelid=17357#DownloadDetailAct

Maybe these will work for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to help. What if none of these work? What do you recommend?

Are you talking about repairing the hard drive in #1?

Thanks,
Kim
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
#1 is a general repair that I do about once a week or so. It seems to help all kinds of problems. It is not a hard drive repair. You would have to do something different to do that.

If none of these work, we can try some more things. Let me know if these work first if you don't mind. I'll check in here every 15 minutes or so.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rob,

I have tried all 3 to no avail. ugh.

What do you recommend I do at this point?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I have a feeling there's something wrong with your system not the driver software since clicking More Printers makes Printer Setup Utility crash. So lets run repair on your system. To do that restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot then hit return and you'll start up back to normal and see if you can add the printer.

Another thing to try is to trash the printing preferences. That file is located at Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist

One more thing you can do is reinstall Mac OS 10.4.11 Combo Update. It could cure the problem. You can download it here:

For Intel Processors: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411comboupdateintel.html

For Power PC Processors: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rob,

Nothing so far. Here's what I have done:
#1 - Ran a repair (fsck -f)

I tried to trash the printing prefs, but they weren't there. The Epson rep had me delete it, I guess it was never replaced??

#3 reinstalled with combo update

The Printer setup Utility still crashes and there is no mp980 print driver to select.

Even though I don't have a working printer, I would still like you to get paid. Are you allowed to help me anymore?Or do you think I need to take my mac mini to apple and have them fix it??

Thanks, Kim
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I don't get paid until you click accept. Only accept if you are satisfied with the answers. I appreciate you saying that though.

I'd like to get this going for you.

One way we could figure out if something is not right with your main user account is to create a new account. First put the installer for your printer in the Hard Drive/Users/Shared folder so you can copy it over to the new account and not have to download it again. Make a new account by opening System Preferences/Accounts. Click the lock at the bottom, click the + button to create a new account, create a username and password XXXXX login to the new account. Now install the new printer and try to add it.

If this works ok it means something is corrupt in the main user account. Most likely a preference file. We just have to figure out which one.

Another thing you can try is manually deleting your Canon printer, restart and install it again. You can do this by going to your Hard Drive/Library/Printers. Drag the Canon folder to the trash, empty it, restart and reinstall the printer and try to add it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI,

I know its late - just got home. Whenever you reply is fine.

When you say to put the installer for your printer in the hard drive, do you mean just the installer for the print driver or for the whole printer set up? I'm going to put the print driver installer in - ??

Kim
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
The Canon printer driver is what I mean. Safari downloads items to the desktop by default. I was just saying to move the printer driver to the shared folder so you wouldn't have to download it again for the new user account but, if you have fast high speed internet I guess that really doesn't matter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. That's what I did. Still the same problem. When I installed the software, it said it was already installed. I did it anyway. I also installed the print driver.

How do I get rid of the new account - just go into accounts and hit the minus sign??

If you have any other suggestions, I'll take them. If not, I'll hit accept for you.

Kim
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Yes, select the account you want to delete by clicking it once to highlight it then click the minus- button.

The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall your system software and do a archive and install to save your previous user account information. This will give you a fresh install of the system and you can copy over all of your existing files into your new user account. Here is the Apple knowledge base article on your install options:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1545

One thing I have not said is make sure your printer is connected to the computer and the power button is on with the printer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all your help! Did you get paid? I hit accept earlier -

Kim
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. Yes, I saw the accept so I did get paid. Thanks so much. Hopefully you get this printer going.