Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I lost a job, so I am constantly sending my resumes. Some employers

I lost a job, so I am constantly sending my resumes. Some employers only accept "cut and paste" resumes. I have Microsoft word for apple, and use both leopard and osx. When I download "cut and paste" resumes on employers' site, the format is distorted. I called Microsoft for Mac, and they told me because of different machines have different size of spacing, there is nothing I can do to correct the problem..Some employers will allow PDF or attach document, but many employers only allow cut and paste.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

There are no guarantees with Microsoft Word for Mac or Windows. When I ran a printshop, I received files all the time from clients who gave me Microsoft Word files from Windows. I opened them on my Windows computer with Word and not all the time but if the document had any size to it, the spacing, line returns and page flows did not match what the clients had on their printouts for me. Word is a word processing app and not a professional page layout app and this is why it doesn't retain exact formatting no matter which machine it's used on.

That said, you will have better luck with Word on Windows being sent to another Word user on another Windows machine. But, no guarantees.