Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

My powerbook wont launch from start-up. The Apple logo appears

Customer Question

My powerbook won't launch from start-up. The Apple logo appears and then the "second hand" sweeps on and on and it won't launch. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

HI,

Do you have your OS disk for you machine?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not here. It's at work and I'm at home now.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Do you have another Mac and a firewire cable?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I'm on a Dell laptop right now. Grrrrr. Hate it. Need my Mac fix!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a business trip tomorrow, and can live w/o my mac pb if nec. I can put my hands on the disk or another mac and firewire cable next week upon my return if that's the fix. We could table this.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I can give you the steps for using the disk or another mac so you can try it when you get back or we can continue in this post.

Let me know which you prefer.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If there is hope that we can get it done w/o the disk or other mac, let's continue. If the other option is elected, I don't have a printer here, so the instructions would have to be emailed so that I can keep them. Is that sop? But then, I can't be sure the procedure will work until I return. Can I get back to you, specifically?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Sure,

You can come back to JustAnswer.com at any time and login to your account, That will allow you to continue in here at any time.

I have even seen customers coming back after over a year.

If you pull the battery and the power adapter then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and reconnect the power does it still boot to the spinning wheel?

If so could you shut down and then power up and press and hold the SHIFT key as soon as you let go of the power button, Keep it held till the spinning wheel below the Apple icon appears then walk away and let the machine sit for 30mins.

If we are successful the machine should show the Safe Boot login screen, If this is the case just choose reboot from the login menu and see if it reboots like normal.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did all you said and the sweep hand continued until it got to the "Starting Mac OS X" page. Now it's stuck there.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

How long has it sat at the Starting OSX page?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At least an hour. I have a 0545 flight tomorrow. Must go to bed. Should I leave it running? I won't take it with me if it's not launched and we'll have to pick this up upon my return.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you wish to you can leave it till the morning and see if it boots to the login.

If it does not just shut it down and leave it till you get back.

If you dont get back to me by tomorrow PM I will post instructions for you to try a repair using both a disk or another mac so you can try when you get back.

Thanks.

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No luck yet. Please email me the instructions (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) for the disk insert and the Mac to Mac w/ firewire connection. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the disks now. Can we start to solve this problem again? I guess to catch up, you can read the dialog we had 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's a MacBook Pro. Why I called it a PowerBook, I don't know. Surely, I was upset and confused. LOL