Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

I need to get data from a Mac ||Ci in Appleworks transferred

I need to get data from a Mac ||Ci in Appleworks transferred to a new program. I am most concerned about my databases. I installed OS 9 onto my Mac G5, but then it stopped working. Can someone transfer the data to Appleworks 6.2.9 so that I have access to all the data I stored on my Mac ||Ci?

I did some research on your problem. Could you please tell me what version of AppleWorks/ClarisWorks you are using on the IIci? The solution will be different depending on the version.

Thanks! Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is version 2.0. I have the original discettes. And it is clearly titled AppleWorks, so I presume that it predates the conversion to Claris. I believe I purchased my Mac || ci in 1984 along with the software. I thought it would last forever ! And, I was perfectly content with everything I could do on it. Of course I do have other computers as well...
Hello Mac IIcilover,

I'm impressed that you have a running IIci! I had one once upon a time too... it's a solid machine!

From what I've read, AppleWorks 6 won't directly open Appleworks 2 files. I'm not sure how complicated your databases are, but one way to get the data out is the following:

On your IIci, you can export your database(s) in CSV (comma-separated values) format. You can then import this file into Appleworks 6 (or Excel) and you'll have all of your data. The disadvantage is that you'll only have the data, nothing else.

If your needs require a more complicated database, I highly recommend looking into Filemaker ( They make some professional-level database programs that are reasonably easy to use for their complexity. You can import your data in the same way as above (CSV).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. Thanks for that suggestion. When you say that I'll have only my data, do you mean that the column headings will be lost? The title of the file? That wouldn't be too much of a problem, I think. And, can I export to a discette? That would be my only option with this machine, I believe. I think I have a disc USB device so that I could import into my iMac or G5 in OS X. Leopard.

If I export to AppleWorks 6.2.9, will I have the database function again, or just a spread sheet? As you may recall, the data base can be fairly large, but then one just selects a portion to print.

Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know my results. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. And could I import the CSV into Bento? I have loaded that into my iMac.

My apologies for the delayed response - for some reason new messages aren't popping up in my inbox.

When you export your data, I believe you'll have an option to export your column headings as well. You'll likely lose the title of the file, but hopefully that is not too much to re-enter. As long as you have a USB disk drive that you can connect to your iMac, then yes, you should be able to export it to a disk.

Appleworks 6.2.9 has both spreadsheet and database functions, just like your older one. And yes, you can import CSV files into Bento (or into Microsoft Excel).

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks again for using JustAnswer!!

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried several times to leave my positive feedback and to make a comment, but when I click on the link, I receive the message that I have left my feedback. I took no positive actions in that regard and was not given the chance to write a comment as I see others have done. Anything I'm missing?

I want to make certain that I am registerd as being positive, and not neutral.

Thank you for the positive feedback you posted for me.

I apprecaite your help and will give you a follow-up when I am able to sit down and try the csv exports.

I just checked and you did leave positive feedback for me - thank you very much!!! I look forward to hearing how the CSV exports work for you.

Thanks again! Best,