Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I have apple mail. I am using a special font in my signature.

Customer Question

I have apple mail. I am using a special font in my signature. It shows up when I write it, but when someone receives the signature, it reverts to a common font. How do I fix that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

In Mail Preferences go to the Composing tab and make sure the Composing Message Format is set to Rich Text. The person receiving your email may also have their mail set up to only receive plain text and non HTML. Which wouldn't show images either. Have you sent an email with the signature to yourself to see if it displays correctly when you receive it? Or to another computer you have?

As far as making additional signatures I ran into the same problem as you. What I didn't realize was after adding new additional signatures in the All Signatures column on the far left just shows what's available. You then have to drag a signature from the middle column to one of your specific accounts on the left to be able to use it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I sent one to myself and it looks okay, but other people still get the text converted to something else. I'm not sure if all people do or just some. Is there any way to make sure that everyone does, with a graphic or something.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
The people that get the special font that changes to another font probably don't have the font you are using in your signature so the system substitutes something else so the best way to avoid that is to use a font most people have like Times.

You can use a graphic if you want to. I made a PDF from Apple's Pages layout software using a 2" x 3" custom size page in the Page Setup in Pages. All you have to do to add a graphic in a signature is open a Finder window and browse to where your saved graphic is, then open Mail/Preferences/Signatures. With the Signatures tab selected, add a new signature with the + button, bring the Finder window with your graphic to the front by clicking the Finder smiling face in the lower left of the Dock, drag your graphic and drop it in the far right column of the Signature tab window and you have your new graphic signature.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I just tested out the graphic signature by making one and sending it to myself. It showed up fine in Apple's Mail but when I looked at it in Apple's me.com mail it showed up as an attachment. So, I guess it all depends on how the Mail application handles graphic signatures. Some will show it, some will just show a downloadable graphic that won't show as your signature. I do believe there are other ways to make signatures that show up on all computers. I'll do a little research and see what I can find.

This software site has some terrific Stationery for Apple's Mail but I don't think they do signatures. It requires Mac OS 10.5 though:

http://www.jumsoft.com/stationery/

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
This looks pretty complicated but this may do the custom signature showing up on other computers for you:

http://allforces.com/2006/04/14/css-signatures/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rob,
   Thanks for your help. I think that link should clear it up. Although it may take awhile. Hey I'm a little unclear about how you are charging me. Am I just paying for 1 question here. I'm not being charged for every response am I?

Thanks,
Chris

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I only get paid if you click the accept button. Only click it once. You are not being charged for every response.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great! Thanks Rob. You are very helpful. I'm going to save your info. for future questions. I have many, as I am also running a printshop, four years so far.

Chris

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
You are in printing! Neat. It's a good profession. I certainly learned a lot. Thanks for the accept.