Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

my mac computer will not start up. I get a blue screen. I

Customer Question

my mac computer will not start up. I get a blue screen. I have tried using the shift key to start in safe mode and it doesn't work?   What else can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

Which Mac do you have and what version of Mac OS X are you using?

Also, do you have your install disks?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

mac 10.4 tiger

the only disk I have is panther which is what was originally installed.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK, the installer disk is a problem..
But, which mac do you have? I need to know that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

G5

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

I want you to try to reset acouple of things that the Mac uses to keep its head straight...

do this:

To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

If it does not boot normally, then do this:

To Reset Open FirmWare (PowerPC Only)

Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Let me know. Meanwhile, try to find the Tiger disk you used to upgrade. We may need it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
as I stated in my question I am using a universal keyboard and do not have an option key or command key. It is more like a windows keyboard
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Option key is the ALT key. Command is the Windows key

Try that and let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
first option did not work, trying second option and it is still showing the progress indicator. I am unable to find the tiger disk, but do have the original panther disk
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you hold down the keys as you turned on the Mac? If so, then the keyboard may need to be temporarily replaced so we can do the troubleshooting.

the Panther disk is not the correct disk if you are using Tiger. I do not like using an older utility on a newer OS.

Do you by chance have Drive Gen\ius or Disk Warrior?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I did, it has been 15 minutes or so and nothing is happening ( just the gear moving) I think I will have to contact the tech that did the install for me. was just hoping to resolve quicker. thank you for your help anyway.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem. I think it is best.

make sure you get a legal copy of the disk. You should have one for troubleshooting things like this.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be paid for assisting.
If not, reply back here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found that it was best to contact the tech that came out to my home. Since I couldn't find the disk. He brought out the correct disk and reinstalled for me, now it is working fine. Sorry that you couldn't help resolve the issue, but thanks for trying.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem. thanks for the update.