Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I have a Mac G5, using OS 10.5.5. For some reason I can no

Customer Question

I have a Mac G5, using OS 10.5.5. For some reason I can no longer double-click to open a folder or enter a text frame in InDesign. All the preference settings appear to be in order. I have tried three different mice with the same results. Do you have any thoughts on this situation?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I would quit all apps, run Disk Utility repair permissions in the Applications/Utilities, restart, create a new document and see if you can type in that.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did all that and more without resolution.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
If you create a new user, open InDesign and can type in that, you'll probably have to trash your preferences in your Home/Library/Preferences folder. Try creating a new user and see if you can type in a InDesign document.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you mean trash all preferences?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
All InDesign preferences. This one:

com.adobe.InDesign.plist

Then there should be 2 folders in there named:

Adobe

Adobe InDesign

Again, all of these are located in the Home/Library/Preferences folder. Throw these in the trash.

Did you try a new user? Could you type in InDesign there?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I forgot how to do that.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I'll guide you through it.

Go to System Preferences/Accounts and click on the lock at the bottom (you'll be asked your administrator password), then you can click the plus sign to add a new account, you'll then have to create a name (you can just call it test) and a password (you can call that test too) because you can go back and delete this account after you test InDesign. Then log out of your main account and log in to the new one, launch InDesign and see if you can type in a text box. If you can, the preferences in your main account InDesign are corrupt.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1) I did everything you suggested: created new account, opened InDesign and made a new document. I was able to double-click and insert my cursor.
2) I logged into my regular account.
3) Trashed Adobe and Adobe InDesign. There was not a file called com.InDesign.plist
4) I created a new document in InDesign, but the problem persists.

I discovered that I can open a Text or Pages file and enter my cursor without trouble. I can open a file or enter an InDesign text frame by clicking rapidly multiple times.

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I'm pretty sure since the other user account worked there is a problem with InDesign's preferences somewhere. Maybe with the application itself. Another thing you could try is download AppZapper from either macupdate.com or versiontracker.com, open AppZapper and tell it to delete InDesign, restart and reinstall InDesign.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I hate to do that because it means a considerable amount of time with updates, etc. I'll do it, however.
It's almost 4:00 here (Portland. Oregon) and this may carry over until tomorrow. How do we handle that?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I'm sure you really don't want to do that. But, if you want it to work in your current/main user this may be the only way. If you do this, after running AppZapper, restart your computer then reinstall InDesign. You could just run InDesign from your test account until you want to do this. I will be here off and on until around 11 p.m. tonight eastern U.S. time. I will be here off and on tomorrow from 4-11 p.m. eastern.
Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did mention he same problem with opening folders didn't I? Isn't this more than an InDesign Problem?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you did. Are they folders that you open from within InDesign? Or when you go to a Finder window and double click on a folder there?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Another question...do you use TimeMachine with an external hard drive?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can double-click on a folder anywhere and it won't open. Sometimes it will open if I multiple-click very rapidly. As I said in an earlier message. I've tried this with three different mice, but no success.
I don't think this is strictly an InDesign situation.

YES.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Great! You're going to love how this works. This should solve whatever is wrong. TimeMachine is a work of art.

Open a Finder window, go to Home/Library then just highlight by clicking once on Preferences.

Open TimeMachine in your Applications folder. Your Finder window with a highlighted Preferences folder now goes into TimeMachine. What you need to do is click back a day or so (a time when you know InDesign worked right) with the arrow at the lower right then click the Restore button in the far lower right.

You'll be asked if you want to replace or keep both.

Click replace, restart and you should be good to go.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, that doesn't work at all. The Library/Preference window disappears when I open TimeMachine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What if I simply go back a few days and restore preferences. Would that work?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I still think it will. I should have told you to go to a Finder window then Applications and drag TimeMachine to your Dock.

Then with that same Finder window, go to Home/Library and click on Preferences once to highlight the folder.

Then launch TimeMachine from the Dock and the that window should go right into TimeMachine with the Preferences folder highlighted. Then click back a day or so (a time when you know InDesign worked right) with the arrow at the lower right then click the Restore button in the far lower right.

Click replace, restart and it should work.

I just saw your next reply. I'd replace the entire Preferences folder like I've shown here. Just in case something else is wrong preference wise with the system. I just went through this whole procedure on my MacMini and all is working great. I've done this several times before in jams.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Brilliant! It worked perfectly. Now, how did you come up with that? You don't have to answer that—I understand, trade secrets and all.

Many thanks.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Super! It is an amazing app isn't? That procedure right there will get you out of almost any jam you get in unless your hard drive is really corrupt. If it's a preference issue, doing what you just did should solve it.