Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

ok, i am confused... i have a new imac, i want to install

ok, i am confused... i have a new imac, i want to install windows so i can use quicken and a couple of other simple programs. Which version of window can i use? I have been told OEM xp won't work, What about vista? same issues? tks in advance for the help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hello Reggie,

As long as you have Windows XP with service pack 2, XP will work. All versions of Vista will work. If you want to boot totally into Windows, you will have to open Boot Camp Assistant in the Applications/Utilities folder. You will have to decide how much of your hard drive of the Mac OS you want to sacrifice to run Windows. There are apps like Parallels and VMWare Fusion that allows you to run Windows on the Mac without booting over to Windows. They run both at the same time. I have VMWare Fusion and it runs great. I chose that one because it recognizes the partition that Boot Camp creates so you can boot over to Windows totally alone or run it along with the Mac OS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rob, thanks for the reply. any thought's as to which os? vista or xp? and do you need any service packs with vista?
tks ron
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
It's personal preference. If you're used to XP you may not like Vista. If you are going to use Parallels or VMWare Fusion, I'd say XP because Vista will use more of your Mac's power. Power meaning processor and memory. So, if I had to choose, I'd say XP.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.