Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I am trying to delete songs from my ipod nano and cant seem

Customer Question

I am trying to delete songs from my ipod nano and can't seem to do it. I want to leave some music and delete other music. How do I do this? Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Are you trying to remove the songs from the Nano in the sidebar in iTunes? or are you trying from the Music Tab in iTunes while the Nano is plugged in?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have the nano plugged in and I bring up the music on my nano. Then I checked off the songs I no longer want and went to file and delete and pushed delete. I did this for every song that I no longer wanted. I an not very good with technology. I am a person that needs step by step. Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.

It sounds like you are doing it right, but the Nano will get them back again unless you go to the Info tab and select Manage music manually. Then sync again and the songs will be removed and only those you want on there will stay.

So, plug the Nano in, click on the Info tab after iTunes opens. In here click on Maually Manage songs and click the little triangle next to the Nano's name. Choose the songs you want on the Nano and uncheck those you do not want. iTunes will remove those songs immediately

Click on the Sync/Apply button at the bottom and from now on, to change the songs on the Nano, do the above again and select the songs you want and uncheck those you don't.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay. I am to the point that I clicked the arrow on the left side of the name of the nano, it then brought up subtitles of music and Debs selection. I clicked Debs selection. I removed arrows of songs I do not want. Then I went back to summary and clicked sync. Nothing seems to be happening. I do not see a sync/apply button at the bottom. I am so sorry that I could be making this more difficult than it is.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
You mean checkboxes right?

When you remove the checkbox, iTiunes removes the song immediately.

You choose sync if there are changes made to the list. If no sync/apply button, then the songs are removed and nothings has changed.

I think you need to restore the Nano and then, when setting it up again, choose to manually sync music. From there you will choose which songs to sync.

It sounds like the Nano is not acting like it should.