Marc Schonbrun
Marc Schonbrun, Mac Genius
Experience:  Author of 10 books on computers, technology and music. Owner of forums dedicated to Mac OSX help.
11429715

Hello . I just published my iweb to mobile me , using my domain

Customer Question

Hello . I just published my iweb to mobile me , using my domain name [bought from , Go Daddy.com ] . When I click the links , http:www.mickart4u.com , " Go Daddy , advertising page " shows up , instead of my web site. They e-mail me , that I needed to " how to point the domain ". I'm not sure what to do . Could you guide me , please .
Category: Mac
Expert:  Marc Schonbrun replied 8 years ago.
You need to set up 'Domain Forwarding" to make this happen. You'll do this in the godaddy.com account settings. Basically, when someone goes to your site, you want them to be redirected to MobileMe, so you set it up that way. Here is the detail for you.
To Forward a Domain

Log in to your Account Manager.

In the My Products section, click Domain Manager.

Use the checkbox(es) to select the domain name(s) you want to modify.

Click Forward.

Select Enable forwarding.

In the Forward to field, enter the URL to which you want to forward your domain name(s).

In the Redirect type area, select one of the following:

301 Moved Permanently
Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field using a "301 Moved Permanently" HTTP response. The HTTP 301 response code tells user-agents (including search engines) that the location has permanently moved.

302 Found (Temporary Redirect)
Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field using a "302 Found" HTTP response. The HTTP 302 response code tells user-agents (including search engines) that the location has temporarily moved.

Click OK.

I hope this is what you needed.

Marc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried following the steps that you told me to do, and now when i enter www.mickart4u.com, the site is routed to mobile me, but the page says that the mobile me page cannot be found. What do you think the problem may be?

When I entered in the redirect type box, i put http://www.me.com/Customer/iWeb/mickart4u
does this look like the correct redirect address?

Thanks,
Mick

Hi Mick,

The address looks funny to me. My personal iWeb page starts with http://web.me.com/
When you publish from iWeb, what page does it take you to when you're done?

Marc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello.
I tried http://web.me.com/Customer/mickart4u , didn't worked

and , hppt://web.me.com/mickart4u , didn't worked

and , hppt://www.me.com/Customer/iweb/mickart4u , didn't worked

and , hppt://www.mac.com/Customer/iweb/mickart4u , didn't worked
as well as other configurations .
What do you think is the problem?
Neil,

Thanks to another expert (vdowiz), I have some more ideas.I think I tried to use a hammer when a feather might have worked.

Let's try this.

1) Dowlonad Transmit or Fetch (which are FTP programs)

2) In iWeb, rather than publishing the site to .Mac, publish it to a folder (in the file menu), and get the ftp username and password XXXXX godaddy for the site, and use transmit or fetch to upload the folder to the site.

(You'll want to disable the forwarding we setup last email.)

Marc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Marc.
Your last suggestion seamed too complicated for me. the
people who sold me my PC were able to resolve the issue.
Thank you for trying.
ML.