Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am new to Mac and have ttied to set up a linksys wrt160n.

I am new to Mac and have ttied to set up a linksys wrt160n. Last night the system said I had been successful in setting up. Now I tried to use it wireless and could not. I am not very strong on computer setups. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

When you setup your router what name did you give it?

Do you know if you set up security, If so what type?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think named it ATT. Not sure about security. New on Mac as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I answered above. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

If you click on the Airport icon in the top toolbar does it find any networks?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It says AirPort: on. Says no network selected. Has Linksys wireless network and a 'lock' after that. It says 'taconet" and a lock after that. Below that is 'join other newwork...; create network...; open network preferences... .
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

As your Router is a Linksys which is the default name that the router sets for itself could you try clicking on that one and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>OK. Popup says 'The network " Linksys wireless network" requires a WPA password.</p><p>I typed in what I would have used as a password XXXXX hit enter. Nothing happened. There are two boxes, "show password" and 'remember this network" and that one is checked. "cancel' is highlighted and 'ok' is not. And nothing is happening!</p>
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I hit 'reply' and 'accept' each time I answer you back?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

You only have to hit reply if you wish to post a reply to me, Also you dont need to hit accept till we have successfully taken care of your issue.

Now, How did you setup your router, Did you plug a cable directly into it?

If so could you reconnect your machine to the router via hardwire so we can reconfigure it a little.

Let me know when you are ready.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am replying to you on my desktop PC; my laptop is the Mac.

The blue plugin that came with the Linksys router is plugged into the Linksys and into the 'ethernet' slot on my Qwest DSL.

A CAT 6 is plugged into the Linksys lot #1 and then into my Mac. But I unplugged the CAT6 so that I could determine if I am working wireless.

Can I telephone you to make this all easier????
Nancy
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Sorry we do not correspond by telephone, That way if I have to opt out for any reason an other expert can read back over what we have done.

Now, leave the quest modem pugged into the to the ethernet port onthe Quest modem and make sure the other end is plugged into the internet slot on the router.

Next connect your computer to one of the Internet ports on the linksys.

Then open an internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1 which should open up your LInksys routers configuration login, Login using your username and pasword or if you did not set one try using admin for the username and the password.

Let me know what happens so we can continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Now I am at the Linsys site on the Mac. It appears to be a Setup screen.

I am ready to do what you say is next.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Great,

Click on Wireless and then you should see a box where you can enter your choice of Network Name (SSID) name it something other than Linksys then scroll down and click Save Changes.

After that click Wireless Security and under security mode select WEP and then in the Encryption box select 40bit.

Next in the passphrase box type a word you can remember and save changes (If there is a generate button press it after entering the passphrase)

Once you have done that and it has saved try disconnecting your machine and then using the airport icon to connect to your wireless.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I clicked on 'wireless' and the next window has Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
1. If your client device has a wi-fi protected setup button click or press that button and then click the button the right.
        or
2. If your client device has a wi-fi protected setup PIN number, enter that.... then click register... or

3. If your client asks for the Router's PIN number, enter this number 34079096 in your client device.

Then at the bottom it has:
Wi-fi protected setup status:          configured
Network Name (SSID): Linksys wireless network
Security:   WPA2 Personal
Encryption: TKIP or AESk
Pasphrase: LXPQE7XN

BUT, no box to enter the network name.

Now what?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Try the wireless on your laptop using the Airport, slect LInksys and enter the password XXXXX when prompted.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
'invalid password'
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

could you try 34079096, If that does not work can you reconnect to the router and go back to the wireless security page and let me know what options it gives you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did not work either.

On the security page it says:
SPI Firewall Protection: and 'enabled' is checked.
There is a check mark in 'filter anonymous internet requests.
No check in 'filter multicast
No check in 'filter internet NAT redirection.
There is a check in 'filter IDENT (port 113)

Below that are 4 boxes to check (none are checked):
    Proxy   Java    ActiveX   Cookies
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Sorry I meant got to wireles then open wireless security.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK.
Security Mode: WPA2 is shown but other options are WEP, WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2Enterprise, RADIUS or Disabled.

Encryption: TKIP or AES is shown but other option is AES.

Passphrase: LXPQE7XN

Key Renewal: 3600 seconds
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Can you follow my earlier directions and change the security to wep etc.

Letme know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi.
In Wireless Security I changed the Security Mode from W{A2 to WEP and clicked 'save settings.'

That took me to another screen indicating Encryption of 40/64 bit....
Passphrase:
Key 1
Key 2
Key 3
Key 4
TX key:

All of those are blank except for the Encription and Security Mode.

Do you think this will be much longer?
Any other recommendations?
Thanks.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Like I said earlier sett encryption to 64bit and enter a passphrase of your choice then save and try to connect wirelessly.

If you can connect then we are done, If not go back to wireless then wireless security and enter a key, just try something like(NNN) NNN-NNNNsave and try your wireless again using(NNN) NNN-NNNNas your password.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I now get a page that tells me Safari can't open the page..... because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. .....

I am going yto click 'accept' and sign off. This didn't work .... I'll call Best Buy and see what they can do or maybe call Linksys.
Thanks for your efforts.