The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

Help. I had to reinstall Mac OS 10.5.5 and now my external

Help. I had to reinstall Mac OS 10.5.5 and now my external drives are locked. I can see them on the desktop but they have little lock icons on them. When I double click them I get a message that states Not correct acces priveleges. I did the get info thing, no dice, I did the change password XXXXX the cd thing, no dice. I have checked tons of blogs and message boards. My client is waiting for the files. I did already receive a note from Mac Whisperer so not sure what to do next but I need these things unlocked.
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the password XXXXX the administrator account?

If so, you can download a program called batchmod which will rewrite the permissions for those drives.

You can download it from: http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html

It's free. Once you download it, open it up, and then drag and drop the icon of the hard drive(s) on the batchmod window to the right of the file button.   From there, change the owner to your username, and check the R W & X buttons below owner. Click the checkboxes to apply ownership and unlock, then click apply.

Once that's done, you should be able to get into those drives.

Are there multiple users on that machine that need access to the hard drives?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are no passwords and I am the only user. Does this make a difference?
There has to be a password (unless it is blank).

Test it by going to the apple menu, and selecting the system preferences. Open accounts, and then click the lock in the lower left corner, and see if you can unlock it. Also, take note of your account, does it say administrator or standard?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am heading for home right now to test. How do i get ahold of you as I am at work. I want to make sure you get paid and would like to know your still around if this doesn't work. I never use passwords at home just the user name of billy.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
billy Kroll

YOU FREAKIN" ROCK!!!!
This system blocks emails, so you will have to reach me from this site. Just log into justanswer from home, and you should be able to connect with me. I'll be around for a bit tonight.
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience: 25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.