The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

I have Intell iMac and Im trying to install Tiger on it and

Customer Question

I have Intell iMac and I'm trying to install Tiger on it and I can't even get it to boot up with the Tiger and now Leopard.
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
First I need some info:
1) What model computer are you running (include speed please)
2) How much RAM (if you know) is installed
3) What system is on the computer now?
4) What disks (CD or DVD) for Operating Systems do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a 2gig with 1gig of ram and 250gig sata drive. It has no operating system on it and I have both the full installs of Tigar and Leopard. I bought it at a swap meet and it had Leopard on one partition and Boot camp
on the other. I didn't want the boot camp so I re-formatted the drive whole and I also wanted to put Tiger
on it because of other programs I have and didn't want to have to up-grade all of them.
The Tiger disk you have, is it a full install or an upgrade disk, or a disk from another machine? And when you reformatted the drive, how did you do that? From the machine itself, a CD, Disk Utility, or from another machine via firewire, or some other way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I said the disk were full installs and I forrmatted with the Leopard install disk doing the special format for a Intell start-up disk.
You did say that. I overlooked it. My bad. What exactly happens when you try to boot to the disks? Does it boot at all? Or give you an error?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing most of the time but maybe one out of ten it flashes a folder.
Do you have another mac you can use? If so, see if you can mount the disk on the other mac, then restart the new one while holding the T button, putting into target mode. Hold down the T button until you see the firewire icon bouncing around the screen. Then, connect the mac that started up to the install disk to the new machine via firewire, and install that way.

Also, while connected like that you may want to check disk utility, and confirm that the disk got fully and properly erased.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How about this. Just explain how I can open up this iMac and change the hard drive. If you do that and I
can open it, I'll ok payment.
Unfortunately, the Intel iMac does not have a customer accessible hard drive. All you can change without going to a repair shop or an apple shop is the RAM.

I assume you don't have another Mac to boot off of as I suggested in my last post.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have other Mac's and the target mode doesn't work either.
I think you need to take this mac in. I think it has a faulty logic board. That's the only reason you wouldn't be able to get into target mode. That's built into the firmware on the logic board. It has nothing to do with hard drives, and nothing to do with operating systems.