Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I am getting a The connection to the server my.mail.server”

I am getting a "The connection to the server “my.mail.server” on port 25 timed out" error message when I try to send email from home with my work email account. I called my isp, they wouldnt help because i am nt using their email. I have tried various other ports, none work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Who is your internet provider?

can you tell us the part of your email address after the @ sign.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, my internet provider is Comcast.
my email [email protected]
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Could you give me the part of your email after the @ sign only as our system blocks out the address if entered in full.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

The problem is that Comcast is now actively blocking both ports 25 and 110 which are the incoming and outgoing ports you need to access your mail as subscribers have allegedly been using their servers for spam purposes, However if you wish to upgrade to a business account strangely they will then let you use any server you want.

So to get around these blocks you will need to try an alternate port to access your mail, However the success of this depends on weather your mail host allows connections on other ports so you will need to contact your email provider and see if they support a Secure mail connection (SSL)which are usually Incoming on port 993 and outgoing on port 465.

If they do all you will need to do is select ssl and change the port numbers.

Let us know what your Email provider has to say so we can help you reconfigure or try to find you an alternative.