Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

When I power up my G3 Pismo, I hear the hard drive spin up.

Customer Question

When I power up my G3 Pismo, I hear the hard drive spin up. Then I hear a chirp sound through the speakers. The computer does not boot up. I did plug in head phone to verify the sound was coming through the speakers (verified). I've tried unplugging PRAM battery and booting with the PRAM disconnected same result. I've removed the power supply battery, same result .
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

When you tried to startup, did you hold down any keys or just remove the batteries?

Do this...

Turn off the Mac.

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
COMMAND (Cloverleaf/Apple key)

Turn on the Mac while holding the keys down.

Wait for the Mac to chime 3 times then release the keys and let it boot normally.

If this helps, please click Accept. If not, reply back here.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Tried the above procedure. No luck. I'm leaning towards a Sound/power card failure.

I was able to power up once last night after I E-mailed you. I disconnected the A/C power supply and the PRAM Battery. The computer still chirped on startup but did boot up. I tried to repeat it with no luck. That's why I thinking it might be a "sound/D/C power card problem!!
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a CD that will boot the Mac? If so try that.

Let's see if it is a power problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No luck booting off CD.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Then I am afraid that there is nothing I can do from here.

It could be a simple part swap or a bad power/logic board.

Try leaving it for a fewdays unplugged and without the batteries. See if it works after that. Otherwise, a trip to the repair shop will be in order.