Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Ive managed to get a disk stuck in my macbook laptop and i

I've managed to get a disk stuck in my macbook laptop and i have no idea how to get it out, the eject button isn't working any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

Is the disk physically stuck?

or is it just that the Mac does not see it and therfore will not eject it?

Let me know so I can give you the best answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's physically stuck. every time i turn it on it makes the sound of it trying to eject the disk quite alot but failing.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK.

There are two ways to do this....

Take it to Apple store and have them remove it, or you can try yourself.

Which MacBook do you have? A MacBook Pro or standard MacBok?

Which optical drive do you have? Combo or DVD SuperDrive?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just a standard macbook i'm not sure about the optical drive, what would be the difference?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Some drives are different in where the little emergency eject button is.

That is why I said there were two choice... one is to try and find the eject button wwith a big paper clip and push it in and the other is take it to an Apple Store and they can do it fairly quickly.

I would need to know which drive it is so I know where the eject button is and so we don't go sticking a paperclip in where it should not be.

Go to your Apple Menu and choose About This Mac...and then click on More info button.

In the next window, look in the Disk Burning section and tell me the drive type, at the top on the right.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is all that was in the Disk Burning section i'm not sure if it's any help, there was nothing in the top right hand corner apart from the date and time.

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8221:

Firmware Revision: GA0K
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK.

I'll look up where the eject button is and get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
BTW... When you startup the Mac, did you try to hold down the Mouse button?

I know you said it tries to eject the disk, but try rebooting and hold down the mouse button until the Mac starts up. This trick is supposed to eject any media.

I should have thought of this first. Try it and I'll keep looking for the eject button.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting