Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Own a MacBookPro with OS 10.5 and Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Customer Question

Own a MacBookPro with OS 10.5 and Vista Home Premium 32bit. Having trouble setting up and running Mail. In states I use as ISP, in UK I use BT Broadband. Several visits to Genius bar, both in US and in Cambridge, UK (where I am now), have not solved the problem. Also tried to [email protected] [email protected] on Vista side of computer. Can't get that to work either. Have consulted the websites for both Comcast and Googlemail but somehow their settings don't work. Help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.

I have Comcast for my internet provider. Nice fast service. I couldn't get my mail to go at first either. What did make it work was setting the outgoing port in Mac Mail/Preferences. In Mail's preferences click the Accounts button, click the outgoing server at bottom and select Edit Server List, in the advanced button make sure the port number is XXXXX I am running Mac OS 10.5.5 and 587 is in the default set of numbers and that works.

Hope this works,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Customeris named Roger!

Hello Rob,

I read your message while I was at the Apple Store in Cambridge, UK. What we discovered was that one must indicate port 110 to receive Comcast and 587 to send on Comcast. Maybe, just maybe it will now work--at least it did at the store. I'm now on a wireless network at my College (Wolfson) so I can't access the Mac Mail program.

I'm happy to pay the $15 if this will finally clear up the whole problem. I can't seem to get Windows Mail registered and again, the issue seems to be the port numbers.

Can this communication-line remain open for a short period before I truly accept your answer and therefore pay the $15?

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Sure, I hope it ends up working for you.