Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Hello, Im trying to connect an TV to MacBook Pro via DVI

Hello, I'm trying to connect an TV to MacBook Pro via DVI to AGP adapter. I have 2 MacBook Pros (15" model 4,1 with GeForce 8600 M GT and 17" model 2,1 with Radeon X1600). The 15" with GeForce works flawlessly but I get "no signal" on TV when using the 17" Radeon.   On the 17" initial connection there was no change in "system\preference\display". After a reboot more options (e.i., mirror) showed up but still no signal on TV. I have all the recent updates (OS X10.5.5) on both. ANy help greatly appeciated
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Two things come to mind with this problem.

One, are you using the same cable for both Macs?

Two, have you tried different resolutions on the external display with the 17"?

I am thinking the 17"'s output is slightly different from the 15" and the TV does not sync at that resolution.

Try checking the exact resolution on the 15" and match it on the 17" when you get a mirror display settings window. Keep in mind the Mac display will sometimes look kind of bad when you get a TV resolution to work but the TV should loo pretty good.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for reply.. I have tried using same resolution settings and I am using the same DVI to AGP adapter plus same AGP cable from adapter to TV. Is the DVI to AGP adapter hot swappable? It's the adapter packaged with the macbook pros.

Could the fact I didn't shut down before connecting to the "17 be part of the problem? I had no problem hot swapping to the "15, but the "17 is an older model with different graphics card.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hot swapping should not be a problem as long as you are careful inserting and removing the connector. I do it with my MBP to my Sony TV all the time.

Not sure what to try next then. It really does sound like the TV is not seeing a resolution it does not like so it stays blank.

Have you tried different settings from the 17"? I know you probably did, but have to ask.