The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

powerbook g4 starts up grey screen with apple and spinning

Customer Question

powerbook g4 starts up grey screen with apple and spinning gear then turns off? what is going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
Either the hard drive is damaged, or the system is corrupted. If you have your system disks, you can try a reinstall. Make sure to do an archive and install, and preserve your user account and settings. If that doesn't work you're going to have to have the hard drive replaced. Let me know if this is necessary and I can recommend some sites that will make the hard drive replacement process simple.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I bought the mac used and do not have install disks. What sites do you recomend?
Do you know how fast the processor is? If it is at least a 800mhz G4, you can upgrade it to the latest operating system, Leopard, which you can get from Best Buy, Frys, or an Apple Store. Has the machine ever worked? If it came this way, you may want to turn to where you bought it, and get them to give you a disk, or possibly take it back. There's definitely some work to be done to get this machine operating at 100%.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I figured it needs some work. I have i backed up with time machine and already put Leopard on it. Is there a way i can just wipe it and start over?
Absolutely, provided you still have the leopard disk. Insert it, and restart while holding the C button so it will boot to the CD. On the first page, where is says options, click there, and select archive and install. Preserve your User accounts and preferences so you don't lose any of your personal data. Let me know if that works.