Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

the mute function is stuck on my imac. I press the mute button

Customer Question

the mute function is stuck on my imac. I press the mute button to take it off and no response. What do I do next ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Go to System Preferences under the upper left Apple logo and click on Keyboard & Mouse. Uncheck the box that says "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". Try that and see if the mute button works after that.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob,

the box was already unchecked.   I noticed the mute box is checked in my system preferences under sound and its also greyed out... What next ?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Ok, next I would try going to a Finder window, click your home folder on the left side list, open Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist. Take that plist file and throw it in the trash. Restart and see if the mute/sound works then.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob

Still no luck.... what next ?

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Next try to zap the PRAM by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the keys:

Command Option P R

After you hear 3 additional chimes, let go and it will start up and see if that gets it back.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob,

When I restarted for the last suggestion I didnt hear the startup chime. No sound at all....
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Not good. But try that key combination anyway for about a minute then and see what happens.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob,

still cannot get the mute function off with your last suggestion. I just bought this imac a week ago.. Earlier I had just installed a quicktime windows media version for the mac.. not sure if this caused the mute button to stick???
thanks for your help....
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Another thing to try to see if this is a software problem is create a new user by going to System Preferences/Users and log out of your current account and login to the new account and see if the mute/sound works then.

Also, do you have external speakers connected? If so, disconnect, restart and see if that works. Another thing you could try is disconnect all connections except your keyboard and mouse, restart and see if you get sound.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not have external speakers with this imac, only built in...
Im going to call it a night...

thanks,

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
A few more things to try.

1) Open System Preferences/Sound, click the Output tab, in the lower right corner see if you can uncheck the Mute box.

2) If you have GarageBand installed, I've seen where you can launch it and play a few notes on the keyboard, quite GarageBand and go back to System Preferences/Sound, select the Output tab and see if you can uncheck the Mute box.

3) Whatever version of Mac OSX you are using, download the combo update installer and reinstall it. The sound may come back. Here's where you can search and find your Combo installer:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/