Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

My imac is less than 1 year old it is a 20 in. flat screen,

Customer Question

My imac is less than 1 year old it is a 20 in. flat screen, 2.4 GHz Intel Core duo operating OS10.5.5. It connects to the internet verrrrry slowly both directly and via the airport. My MacBook connects to the same airport at normal speeds. I recently updated to 10.5.5 but the connection speed was slow before the update also. It has been slow about 3 weeks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hello olesulivan,

With airport wireless connection go to System Preference, click Network. Then click Advanced, then click the button DNS. Add these sets of numbers by hitting the + symbol in the lower left corner:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

You have to click the + symbol for each different set of numbers. Restart and see if that speeds things back up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We tried adding the DNS numbers but it did not speed up our connection. We then added the DNS numbers from my macbook and they didn't help either. On a race to myspace.com the laptop won 7 seconds versus over a minute. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Yep, that is much slower. Have you tried a different browser like Safari to see if another browser runs any faster? If you have try these:

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder

2) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot then hit return and you'll start up back to normal and see how that works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, Rob,
I repaired the disk permissions and restarted, did fsck -f and got the message that the harddrive was ok but the internet hasn't sped up at all. Sorry this isn't working out like butter on bread. Do you have another idea?

Sorry to take so long...Went to church and lunch.
Ole
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Create a new user or login to another user if you already have another one in the system now. See if the computer surfs faster then. If it does, there is something corrupt in your original user. I had this problem with a local customer of mine where he had several Macs, all were fast except one. We ended up doing an archive and install reinstallation of the system to get back to normal. You may end up doing that also.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Rob,
I had a lot of permissions that weren't what they were supposed to be so I spent some time learning - by trial and error- how to change them back. I am sure my son changed them when he was trying to get "GameRanger" to play on the internet. The internet is much faster now and I appreciate your help. I'll bookmark justanswer for the next time I justneedananswer.
Thanks again and good luck,
Ole
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Excellent! I'm so glad things got back to full steam again. Thanks for using justanswer and accepting my answer.

Take care,
Rob