The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

my screen goes grey and a message appears asking me to restart

my screen goes grey and a message appears asking me to restart the coputer in 5 different languages. After I restart the message Mac Os X quit unexpectedly appears . I am new to Mac and the version is Mac OSx 10.5
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
Is this a new situation? Or a new computer? Does the restart window continue to come up after the restart? Did you add any RAM recently?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the computer was purchased in May 08 , nothing has been added. The restart window comes up not immediately after the computer has been restarted but at irregular intervals. Today it has appeared twice since morning 9am.
It sounds like you have bad RAM. What model computer is it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model imac 7,1
On the bottom of the screen in the center is a panel with two screws. Your RAM is located behind this panel. Chances are 1, or both of your RAM cards have gone bad. You should take it into the apple store, and they will test the RAM, and replace it for you if necessary. It should be completely covered by warranty.

Bad RAM exhibits itself as kernel panic (which is what you've been experiencing). It is inconsistent and sporadic, but persistent.

The only other suggestion I can give you, is to try doing a system reinstall with the disks that came with your computer. The other possibility is a corrupted operating system. Reinstall with those disks, and do what is called an archive and install (make sure to have the computer migrate your old user and data when it does this). This will allow you to reinstall the system without deleting, losing or altering any of your current data on the machine. If that does not solve the problem, you must take it into an apple authorized repair center or to the Apple Store.