The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

hi there, i have trouble playing dvds. i have powermac g4 osx10.4.

Customer Question

hi there, i have trouble playing dvds. i have powermac g4 osx10.4. it keep comes up with "initialisation error -70012. any ideas how to fix this ? thanks paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
Does that error come up right when you put the disk in, or only when you try to start the DVD player? Have you ever been able to play DVDs on this machine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi there, it only does that when i try to start the dvd player . got the machine off ebay recently so this is first time i have used it. hope that helps.
We need to see if it is a hardware or software problem. If you have another account on this machine, log into it and see if a DVD plays there. If you don't have another user account, create one by going to the apple menu to system preferences, and then to accounts. Click the plus button at the bottom to create a new user, then go to the apple menu and log out of your current user.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi there, ive tried all that and i am registered user.still comes up with initialisation error. try something else?
If you changed user and the problem is still occurring, you have a hardware error. Does it let you play CDs? If you have the installation disks it came with, you may want to try a reinstallation, but if the DVD is badly messed up, it may not even let you do that. You can also install an external drive for around $100 which will be much more affordable than trying to repair the drive internally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi , i already installed a new disc drive in the tower, an asus drive .but it still wont play.i dont have installation discs as i got the machine second hand. any ideas . thanks for now paul
Has the new drive ever worked?