Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

hi there, i cant seem to play cds on my powermac g4 osx10.4.

Customer Question

hi there, i cant seem to play cds on my powermac g4 osx10.4. the i tunes will not register the cd i put into the driver. any ideas on what i can do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hello Paul,

When you put a CD in the computer do you mean a music CD with songs already on it you bought from a store or a blank CD?
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry , yeah a regular music cd.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
The first thing I would try is restarting the computer. If that doesn't work I would shut the computer back down, unplug the computer from the wall for about a minute, plug it back in and start it back up. Third try would be to create a new user in System Preferences/Accounts, login to that new account and see if the CD works in that. Fourth try would be to open the insides of the computer up and unplug then replug the cable that runs to the CD. If any of these don't work you probably have a CD/DVD drive that has died.
Rob, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no joy with all that. can you help with playing dvds as well ? an " initialisation error -70012 " occurs every time i try to play a movie dvd , any ideas ? thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
1) Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder.

2) Try restarting holding the Command S keys. You'll get a black background with white text mode. At the prompt type:

fsck -f

hit return, after it repairs your computer and says it seems to be ok type:

reboot

hit return and your computer will start up normally again. See if that works.

3) Put in your Mac OS 10.4 install disk, restart holding the C key and see if your Mac will boot from the DVD. If it does your CD/DVD drive is not dead but you will need to reinstall your operating system.