The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

My computer iBook G4 has a message telling me to restart and

Customer Question

My computer iBook G4 has a message telling me to restart and after I do that it continues to say the same message. Cannot do anything else with it and can't find a reset button!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

So does your computer startup ok but won't let you use it? It just keeps telling you to restart? If you get a box asking are you sure you want to shut down, you could hit the esc key and that should make the box go away. If you are hung where it won't let you do anything you can hold the power button down for 5 seconds and the computer will shut down. Then you could start back up and see how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have tried that and it shuts down OK but won't go beyond the box that says I should restart when I turn it back on.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
1) Restart and as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the keys Command S. The computer will boot into a Unix text mode. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

This runs file system check. After it repairs the drive and says it seems to be ok, type:

reboot

hit the return key and you'll start back up in regular mode.

2) If what I just said doesn't work, try zapping the PRAM by restarting, holding the Command Option P R.

Hold those keys down until you hear 3 additional chimes then let go and see how that does.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
neither of them worked. Is their anything else i can try?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Actually it sounds like the power key may be stuck which prompts you to shut down continually. Other than reinstalling the operating system, I don't have another answer. I'm going to opt out so some of these other smart people here can jump in and hopefully get you out of this.

Have a nice weekend and I hope you get rid of that restart message.

Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the dock and menu bar to show up and that's the first time so we must be doing something right! The cursor bar is now stuck and I have the same message box telling me to restart. Any more ideas????
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
It sounds to me like you have a system corruption. Do you have the disks that came with your computer? What operating system are you on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's the OSX system iworks too which was loaded on it when I purchased it second hand. I do have the disc for my desktop however/ do you think I could reload that?

I don't understand your last response. What operating system was on the machine? The disks that come with machines are unique to each machine, so if you don't have your original disks, you'll need to get your hands on an install disk. You can get one from Best Buy, Apple, Frys, or eBay.

The computer most likely has a corrupted Operating system. A reinstall would take care of this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't come with an install disk so I guess I'll have to buy one before I can go any further. Wy would an operating system corrupt?
Hard to say. It may have had a bad installation originally, and just gotten worse over time. Or something might have happened like a crash or a power outage while running an update.

It's not a guarantee that a reinstall will solve the problem. That message could be the result of a hardware issue, but on a Mac, and with those symptoms, I would reinstall before I did anything more drastic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had to take my computer in as nothing you advised was helpful!
I'm sorry I was unable to help.